Help with battery powered led lights...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if 'Electrics UK' is the appropriate forum to post as its a question about battery powered LED lights so if I've posted in the wrong section can it be moved to the correct one please....

I'm after some advice about letter lights I've purchased and the best way to wire them all together to work from one switch.
If you look at the photos you will see the letter 'S' I have purchased along with 3 others so have 4 in total with each one having to be powered by batteries individually.
They all use the same power which is 2 x AA batterys obvioulsly 1.5volts for each giving me a total of 4 letters at 12volts.
As I said they are powered individually and I want to be able to turn them all on and off with one switch with one power supply so I would appreciate any info on the best way to do this, I do need the power supply to be quite compact.
Many thanks

Edit - Could it be as simple as extending the on/off switch wires from all 4 letters to connect to just one switch keeping the AA batteries in each letter?

20200412_154544_001.jpg
20200412_154619.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No, 4 letters at 3 volts. They're wired in parallel.

3000lightbulbparallel.jpg

The two 1.5V batteries will be wired in series to give 3V.

3010batteriesseriesparallel.jpg

easiest way will be to get some thin twin flex, connect that to the two battery terminals (at the switch end) on each light and connect at the end through a switch to a separate battery holder. As this will be supplying several lights you might want to use 2xC or 2xD batteries as they have much higher capacity than AA. You will need to observe correct polarity + and - throughout, as the lights may be damaged if the polarity is the wrong way round.

2 x AA battery holder - Ebay may be the cheapest source if this is all you need.

1289504-2-thumb.jpg

You can get them with press-studs on to match a PP3 snap connector instead of leads or solder tags. Using a PP3 snap connector as a switch might be easiest, especially if you aren't able to solder.

Some of these letters have LED elements that rely partly on the internal resistance of the battery as the current control. Larger batteries with lower internal resistance may allow higher current flow in the LED elements.

Sponsored Links
Some of these letters have LED elements that rely partly on the internal resistance of the battery as the current control. Larger batteries with lower internal resistance may allow higher current flow in the LED elements.

Could this knacker the bulbs then?

Could this knacker the bulbs then?

It might reduce their life a bit, depends on the quality of the elements.

Two D cells in series giving three volts should be OK to supply all 4 letters connected in parallel.

Last edited:
It might reduce their life a bit, depends on the quality of the elements.

Two D cells in series giving three volts should be OK to supply all 4 letters connected in parallel.

Bernard, the quality isn't going to be that great for the price I paid for them :LOL::LOL: so I'll get the 2x D holder and get them wired up in parallel, thank you
and thanks to all for your help guys(y)

Correct.
I've handled some lights for displaying glass crystalware which specified 2x D NiCad and emphasised not to use alkaline or zinc batteries. Of course the trader did not have a Scooby and used Duracells, none of the LEDs lasted as long as the first set of batteries.

Quick update guys, battery holder came and I'd already wired the lights in parallel and the holder was in series anyway. Connected it up and works a treat so many thanks
20200502_184207~2.jpg 20200502_211620.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back