help with blocking off old copper pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs neighbour's kitchen ceiling fell in this morning...

My landlord is away so she contacted a plumber. They found that an open ended copper pipe was leaking heavily behind my cooker. The pipe comes from an old hot water system which was connected to a water tank in the loft/attic of our tenement flat. This system was removed before we moved in and a new boiler installed.

It turns out that the neighbour above us was having issues with her water (we dont know what) ad called a plumber earlier this week.

The plumbers who came into my house said that the plumber called by the upstairs neighbour must have went into the loft and turned on the tap from the water tank connected with our old hot water system, lots of water leaked- he tried to turn it off and the seal is broken so it has continued to leak.

Basically there is an open ended copper pipe behind plasterboard in my kitchen that was leaking.

The plumbers today said that this pipe is very old and there are not fittings available for it anymore. What they have done is used a file on this open ended pipe to make it narrower until they could fit a fitting with a tap onto the pipe.

They said before they left that the pipe was dry, I felt the pipe and said it was wet which they said was water that was already there - despite them drying it already. There is definitely a very small leak (a piece of kitchen roll which I have wrapped around shows a wet patch after 1 minute or so).

I cannot see how you will ever get a water tight seal from a metal fitting onto an uneven metal pipe. All I want to know is- what is the best way to stop it as it is so small- is there a resin/tape that would do for such a small leak or realistically does something better have to be done?

Apologies for the long story for what is a short question- and thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Modern copper is 15mm or 22mm as a rule old pre 1970's copper is 1/2" or 3/4".

As a rule 15mm compression fittings fit onto 1/2" and 22mm compression fittings go on to 3/4" but need a 3/4" olive which any good plumbers merchant will stock.

Sometimes you get oversized imperial copper and the compression fittings will not quite go on, the best bet then is to file as your guy has done and fit a 1/2" to 15mm soldered adaptor to convert to metric then cap with a modern 15mm fitting, the solder will make up for any irregularities in the filed down pipe.

This sort of thing.
http://www.grahamplumbersmerchant.c...-end-feed-imperial--metric-adaptor-15mm-x-12/

It would be better if possible to disconnect the pipe from the loft/tank. where it can be dealt with more easily. To be fair to the plumber who fiddled around with the valve, you wouldn't expect an open ended pipe to be left in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back