Help with boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I have a sime ecomfort 30he condenser.

The fibre washers started to leak on the aquagard filter yesterday, so I changed them with apparent success. I then refilled the system with some cleaner in and ran it for about an hour, whilst keeping a close eye on the filter for leaks. There was a very small drip, which was remedied by a further tighten of nut.
Confident of my handiwork, I then drained the system down and added inhibitor and a 'leak stop' to be on the safe side. (all chems b&q's own brand).

I ran the system for a good two hours after bleeding rads, everything appeared normal pressure-wise. With the usual topping up after bleeding rads etc.

I then went to bed. Got up this morning, and it'd lost about a bar of pressure, which was a bit concerning. After a bit of searching the interwebs, it looks like it could be the expansion vessel dumping water out of the PRV maybe?

My question is how to repressurise the vessel (if your learned opinions confirms this is what the issue is) without draining the system down again, as I dont want to lose the £30 of chemicals i put in!

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Dump the chemicals, own brand budget stuff is crap; buy some proper stuff.
Before doing things on the guess, find out what the actual problem is

erm, thanks. Trying to find out what problem is by asking on here.

Does it sound like an expansion vessel issue to you?

I then drained the system down and added inhibitor and a 'leak stop' to be on the safe side. (all chems b&q's own brand).
Get them chemicals out asap.

I ran the system for a good two hours after bleeding rads, everything appeared normal pressure-wise. With the usual topping up after bleeding rads etc.

I then went to bed. Got up this morning, and it'd lost about a bar of pressure, which was a bit concerning. After a bit of searching the interwebs, it looks like it could be the expansion vessel dumping water out of the PRV maybe?

The expansion vessel doesnt 'dump' water.

My question is how to repressurise the vessel (if your learned opinions confirms this is what the issue is) without draining the system down again, as I dont want to lose the £30 of chemicals i put in!

Top the system pressure to 1 bar (with the system cold).
Get the heating system hot, watching the pressure whilst it heats up and post the findings here
Is the discharge pipe leaking out side?

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
the aqua filter on them leak like ****.touch one bit and the other will leak too.brass nuts onto plastic are rubbish,get some ptfe tape onto it.also check you havent moved the pipe that goes into the divertor (follow the aqua pipe to the left) its held in by a circlip and tightening the aqua filter without holding against yourself can pull on the pipe/washer

the aqua filter on them leak like ****.touch one bit and the other will leak too.brass nuts onto plastic are rubbish,get some ptfe tape onto it.also check you havent moved the pipe that goes into the divertor (follow the aqua pipe to the left) its held in by a circlip and tightening the aqua filter without holding against yourself can pull on the pipe/washer

When i took the filter out, it definitely moved. It was REALLY loose though, like a kitchen tap. What damage will this have done?

there is a bit of movement,just check it not leaking upwars from around the pipe.best bet is to take the two nuts of the filter and use a little ptfe on the threads.you did drain it throught the drain tap and not the prv?

I must admit, I did drain a little out the prv just to bring the level down enough to stop the leak out of the filter. The rest was drain through the drain valve.
Well I've just got in and the system pressure has held all day, so I can rule out a leak I think. I've just turned it on, so I'll see how it gets on.

The plot thickens!!

everything has worked fine, no more pressure drop after system cooled overnight.

HOWEVER.... now the boiler locks out on CH (DHW is fine) with a flashing orange LED (no water circulation).

Any possible theories? Could the leak-stop i put in have blocked the aquagard filter perhaps?

You have drained and refilled the system with new water, which always has air dissolved in it. The boiler has driven this out of solution, and released it through the automatic air vent. That is why the pressure dropped, and it is perfectly normal. You usually need to check the pressure for a day or two, but don't overpressurise it.

As to the other problem, I don't know. Are you certain that your controls are still correctly set?

Thanks mysteryman.

Pressure is now all ok.
The other problem seems (touch wood) to have sorted itself out. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys, although am still perplexed as to a reason why I should be removing these chems. I appreciate that the sheds own brand will be far less superior than a sentinel product for example, but detrimental to the system? if you could help me to understand why, I'd appreciate it.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back