Help with choosing a sander.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wish to sand an area of lumpy plasterwork to obtain a smooth finish, which kind of sander would be best to use (Random orbital, belt.... )? It is too large an area to reasonably do it manually with a sanding block! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Ben

Sponsored Links
Is this indoors? a random orbital will be fine but believe me, you will be seeing dust in every room from now till the next milenium.

Yes, it is indoors. We had a doorway blocked up as part of some building work and the builders didn't make a very good job of matching the new plaster in with the old. As a result we have a messy ridge where the two join. As for dust, we have plenty of that in our house already. The building work involved removing a wall bonded with lime mortar and coated with lime plaster. Easy to remove, but incredibly messy!

Thanks,

Ben.

If thats the case, personally I'd ring them and get them back to do it properly...

Sponsored Links
For a one off job I would just go and buy the basic cheapest one ... if you think you will use it a lot then get a better quality one. As for the shape etc .... if you have corners to get into you need a shaped one, if its just a flat surface any should do.

What I would bear in mind if I was you - is the replacement sandpaper - price that up at the same time, it may make you pick a different sander.

I would get them back for that if it was on friendly terms

eggplant said:
Is this indoors? a random orbital will be fine but believe me, you will be seeing dust in every room from now till the next milenium.
Only if you use it without attaching a proper industrial vac (or at a pinch your Dyson although it will cream cracker the filter in no time at all)......

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back