Best sander

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am in the process of laying an oak parquet floor. I do not have access to hire machinery, or large professional sanding equipment. The floor appears pretty level with no real high spots. What is the best type of electric sander to use - should I still go for the belt type, or is it best to use an orbital sander? The pattern is herringbone in one room, so it is difficult to sand with the grain.

There are no time restraints, but I want to do a proper job. Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
with your restrictions an orbital sander might be your best option. When installing the wood blocks, try to avoid to many height differences (I know, might be difficult to accomplish, but even so) so you won't have to 'grind' too much on one and the same spot to get things sanded level.

Thanks for your advise WoodYouLike. I am lucky that the blocks I am using are tongue and groove, and there doesn't appear to be any real height difference to speak of. However, as you suggest, I will check each block during the laying process.

I am in a situation where it looks like I am going to be forced to lay the floor in 30 degree plus temperatures. Do you have any tips regarding laying in these conditions - things like minimising the gap around the edges of the rooms etc?

Thankfully, humidity is very low.

Cheers. :D

Your 'window' of bonding might be less due to the high temperature. Don't put too much adhesive at once on the floor.
And if the humidity is low (below 40 % ?) leave a wider expansion gap.
Good luck, drink enough water and don't hurry the job. Perhaps you could start in the early morning, have a siesta during the hottest time and continue in the evening?

Sponsored Links
A random orbit sander, or dual action would work a treat, not as aggressive as a belt sander, but more effective at levelling anything than an orbital sander.

You can pick them up for around £25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back