Advice on local sanding equipment hire for parquet flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay a parquet flooring. It's maple & from a school so needs quite a bit of sanding. I've been advised to use either an orbital or drum sander. I'm reading a few posts that give conflicting advice.

The local hire companies have either a 44kg drum sander & the another has an orbital sander.

Could someone also advise me on the sanding grits I should use & give me an idea of how many sets I may need for 16sq mtr floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
a drum sander of 44kg is too light to do the job properly (plus you run the risk of creating shatter marks with the lowest grits),. Orbital sander: even less heavy.

Find a belt sander of at least 65 kg to get the best results

Thanks WoodYouLike, I'm having no luck finding the bigger belt sanders locally. I'm base in Nottingham.

Any suggestions?

Ask a local wooden floor fitter/restorer? Could mean they will do the job for you (but that's always better than ruining the floor with the wrong tool)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back