Another parquet question ........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Almost got the parquet down (at long last) and now thinking about sanding. Due to the size of the area a large drum sander or something like will be too big. My plan is to hire an edging sander (orbital type) and do the whole floor on 80 grit to level it. My neighbour is a french polisher and has a large normal sander which I am then going to go over the whole floor 100 grit.
I am then going to get some Lecol wood filler 7500 I think it is then 120 grit it and hard wax oil.

Does this sound ok to you more experienced parquet people or will I have trouble with rings off the orbital ?

The floor is only 1 or 2mm out in some areas so not a major sanding session I hope !!!!

Many thanks

Paul
:confused:

Sponsored Links
edging sanders are very hard to use. Let alone on the middle of the floor. If its only a very small area i might be tempted to use a standard flat electric sander. Black and decker sort of thing.

mattysupra said:
edging sanders are very hard to use. Let alone on the middle of the floor. If its only a very small area i might be tempted to use a standard flat electric sander. Black and decker sort of thing.

Thanks matty, the sander the neighbour has got he called a 1/2 sheet sander which I think is like your normal black and decker type thing only bigger. I have never used an edging sander so thanks for the advice on it.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul-B

Start with grit 40 to get the floor as level as possible. Second sanding with grit 80. If you plan to fill gaps with wood-filler collect the sand-dust of this sanding. Mix the sand-dust with the woodfiller, fill larger gaps one by one first and then 'plaster' the whole floor to fill all tiny gaps.
Let it try (normally goes quickly) and sand with grit 120 to remove excess filler and the create a very smooth surface. If you plan to use oil or hardwaxoil as finish the 120 grit is the last sanding, if you plan to varnish or lacquer a fourth sanding is needed with grit 150.

Hope this helps.

WoodYouLike said:
Hi Paul-B

Start with grit 40 to get the floor as level as possible. Second sanding with grit 80. If you plan to fill gaps with wood-filler collect the sand-dust of this sanding. Mix the sand-dust with the woodfiller, fill larger gaps one by one first and then 'plaster' the whole floor to fill all tiny gaps.
Let it try (normally goes quickly) and sand with grit 120 to remove excess filler and the create a very smooth surface. If you plan to use oil or hardwaxoil as finish the 120 grit is the last sanding, if you plan to varnish or lacquer a fourth sanding is needed with grit 150.

Hope this helps.

Thanks woodyoulike you are a star

Paul

Finally got the floor down and would like to thank everyone for all the help and advice given. I will try and get some photos on as soon as possible. I must say to say it is the 1st time I have layed parquet I am well pleased with the results (although it seem to have taken an age to do!!)

Thanks again for all your help

Paul

Courtesy of Paul_B (well done by the way, looks a million!):

Paul2.jpg
Paul1.jpg
Paul3.jpg

Paul4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back