Parquet sanding query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently acquired some pitch pine (I think) parquet wood blocks which I intend to lay in my hallway. From research on this site I understand the best way to sand a herringbone pattern is using the same grit paper in horizontal and vertical lines. My problem is that the hallway is only 1.3 metres wide so I am concerned that I won't be able to do the horizontal sanding - is there any way around this? I have a diy'ers belt sander and random orbit sander and was intending on hiring a Bona sander for the main job.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When sanding a floor you would normally go along the length of the board.
With a herringbone pattern if you did this you would then go at 90 degrees across the next block. The normal solution to this would be to sand at 45 degrees in both directions to produce an even finish.
In this situation I would suggest sand the length with your basic sander and then use a random sander like a Lagler Trio. This will eliminate any sanding marks that the belt and edger could leave and give you a perfect finish.

TT

Sorry TT, but also with a herringbone and any other pattern of design parquet you go from wall to wall 'cos in the end the sanding machine (belt sander, stay away from drum sanders) will never just go with the grain.
You get an even finish by continuing the same method with higher grits. Start with 40, then 80 followed by 120 (for oil, for varnish you need a 4th run with 150). The last sanding before applying the finish can be done with a Trio sander or a "Multi-disk" (5 separate rotating disks) for an even smoother and even finish.

1.3 meter wide could mean loads of sanding with the edge-sander after using a decent belt sander first. Then indeed the Trio would be ideal for the last round(s).

Thanks Guys - to be clear then (because I can be a bit daft) - lengthways with a Bona continous belt, widthways with an edge sander and finish the whole with trio/edge sander at 40/80/120 for oil and 40/80/120/140 for varnish?

Sponsored Links
Length and width ways as far as possible with the belt sander, where the belt can't go use the edge sander.
Grits 40 and 80 best to use with the belt and edge sander, remaining with Trio sander

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back