restoring reclaimed parquet blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I've got 2800 9"x3" canadian maple parquet blocks that need restoring before re-laying. The sides clean up easily using a belt sander. The problem is the mucky tar on the bottom. Question: should I leave the tar intact and epoxy the blocks to a concrete screed floor and finish by sanding or go to the lenght of removing the tar? if yes by cutting bottom off completely!

Sponsored Links
up to you.

the "tar" will always b soft so may lift after a time, sawing it off is a novel ide, but you will have to remove the same amount off each block, otherwise they will end up at differnt heights

i would say you need to get the tar off as much as possible. I having just laid 60sq meters (over 3000 blocks) I can tell you brace yourself for a hell of a job, blow touch (gas) or heat gunis the best way. But when you comes to laying it you really must get as much off as poss or the adhesive wont glue them down properly and you end up with lose blocks every where. 60 sq m took 1 week (2 men) full time including sanding the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back