Parquet Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have resently been given over 40 boxes of parquet flooring which was taken out of an old building there is tar on the back and I have been reading some of your comments on how to clean this of ie; freeze and chip off. I know this is going to take along time in parparing them to lay again would you say this was the most effective way a my mother in law has offered to help. Would you also sand each block down. My father has a large bench sander could they be done on this one by one (I know time consuming but he is retired. Any help would be most welcome. Thanks.iris4050

Sponsored Links
Take up the offer of your mother in law and the offer of the sander of your father. Remove as much tar/bitumen as possible, then install the blocks and then sand it down in one go.
Great to have family help (throw a party for them afterwards to 'test' the parquet ;))

I have mentioned in the past to use Odour Kerosene then didn't how difficult it was to find the supplier. Bitumen needs heat to soften it then scrape it off, something like a heat gun should do it. I wouldn't worry about get it all off because the parquet flooring adhesive are bitumen base but having said that, it would be easier if it's all the same thickness and it's clean. Also make sure it is the correct parquet flooring adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Hi Masona
It is getting harder and harder to source bitumen related parquet adhesive (VOC-regulations etc). 'Modern' parquet adhesive don't have bitumen in it, can be used when there is some bitumen left on the blocks (or floor for that matter) but will take a little bit longer to bond fully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back