Laying reclaimed parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to lay 100 square yards of reclaimed parquet flooring, so would like some advice on a suitable adhesive. Some is going onto concrete, but most onto board that we have to put down (18mm). The parquet is T&G 22mm thick approximately. It was originally stuck down with bitumen, but has been cleaned. However the surface is still black which means there will be traces of the tar/petroleum compounds. Three questions! What would be a suitable sealer for the concrete? What would be a suitable board - OSB or WPB? What would be a suitable adhesive(s)? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try F.Ball's F21,it's a wood block adhesive with bitumen/rubber properties,which will be ideal for your purpose and it's non-flammable.It is a 'dipping' adhesive,which means the adh.is poured into a plastic basin, the base of the block is dipped in and put into place.Trowelled adh. can turn into a nightmare with wood block,sometimes with more on the top than where it should be.Which means extra sanding =extra £££ and time.Shouldn't need primer for the timber subfloor,which 'ideally'would be WPB,as long as it's dust free.For the concrete,I'll assume there is a DPM,anything bitumen based.Hope this helps a little.
mack

Thank you Mack. I actually came across F21, and called F. Ball's to ask if it needed special board. The tech. gentleman suggested B91 because it is comb laid and easier to use - but I did not mention the existence of tar chemicals which would probably have changed his mind since B91 is solvent free, and I imagine might not bond. With 100 square yards to lay there is potential for an expensive mistake! Regards Nomisg

Why in heavens name did you not mention the bitumen to F.Ball???? They know their products better than anyone, so a big chance on proper advice and best product recommendation missed here.

Sponsored Links
Agreed. However the timber had not arrived, and although cleaned - as described - the timber does have traces of the bitumen. Your opinions seem to indicate that F.Ball supply good products, so I will call them again. Many thanks. Nomisg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back