Help with fireplace please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am new to this forum - I wonder if you can help me please.

I was a bit bored one evening and decided to destroy my horrible electric faux fireplace...finding this behind it

Theleft hand side has a big hole in it and the right is very rough-bricks chopped in half. I'd like to just cover this all up (chimney not open and not having a real fire so don't need to worry about heat resistance etc) and then plaster and paint the alcove and the front part.
Has anyone got any ideas about how I could cover up the brickwork to make it smooth? I have tried using plasterboard but it is just not strong enough to create a 'box' out of for the recess (can you tell I'm a complete novice at diy?!) I can't see a way that I would be able to attach anything directly to the walls as they are so uneven.

There is also the added problem that the recess is not central in the chimney breast for some reason- so the 'Box' would need to be not central in the recess, but then what can I fill the gaps either side with?

Thank you for your patience with a clueless and probably overambitius newby!
Claire

Sponsored Links
With due respect, plastering is not for novices ( if you want a good finish ). Ask a plasterer to do the whole job for you, I can't imagine it being horrendously expensive.

:) thanks. I wasn't planning on doing the plastering myself - just the background part so a plasterer would have something to plaster onto (trying to keep costs down!). but i think i will get someone in to look at it as it is, thanks though

What are you trying to accomplish with your opening/chimney breast?
At the moment you seem to be jumping the gun, thats if you have future proposals in mind.

If you research some back posts of mine (& others) on this subject you will be better informed as to whats what and maybe useful questions to put to anyone who has a look.

If you are serious about some proposal then call in a HETAS for an on site heads up.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard is ideal not sure what problems you are having fixing since it's just glued to the brickwork?
I used a slate tile to line a unused fireplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back