Help with fireplace renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice.... I've just knocked out the fireplace in our 1920's house in readyness for a wood burner, and this is what I've found:

It look as though, at some point, someone chiselled a lump of the lintel out - I'm guessing to insert/remove something or another and left it in a bit of a state.

What are my options? Is there some way I can repair the lintel and make it square in readyness for the plasterer? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
That's a fair old chunk been taken out of that lintel. Are you satisfied that it's still within tolerances, performance wise, from a structural POV - it's difficult to tell from the photo as the finish plaster covers the rest of the lintel so I can't see the total dimensions. If you are happy, you can patch up with some EML / epoxy repair mortar and your spread will blend it in / finish off and you will never know.

As an aside, you say you're putting in a wood burner, is that existing liner suitable for the new burner (not really my bag but think it needs to be a multi-fuel??) RichC will know ;)

What is the surface like? Is it definatly missing a chunk because some throat forming lintels are that sort of shape.

That's a fair old chunk been taken out of that lintel. Are you satisfied that it's still within tolerances, performance wise, from a structural POV - it's difficult to tell from the photo as the finish plaster covers the rest of the lintel so I can't see the total dimensions. If you are happy, you can patch up with some EML / epoxy repair mortar and your spread will blend it in / finish off and you will never know.

As an aside, you say you're putting in a wood burner, is that existing liner suitable for the new burner (not really my bag but think it needs to be a multi-fuel??) RichC will know ;)

Hi,

Well the lintel is 12in tall and there's roughly 5in been chipped off. It seems sound enough, but I'm obviously looking at it from an untrained eye....

With regard to the repair, is epoxy resin going to be suitable considering this will be directly above a very hot wood burner?

Yeh, the flue is not suitable. It's a bit of a sickener as it's literally brand new and un-used - as was the Baxi gas fire that we removed. I've got a HETAS fitter lined up to put in a suitable stainless steel liner and new pot. They were quoting around £600 to knock out the fireplace and make good - hence my eagerness with the chisel and jackhammer!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
What is the surface like? Is it definatly missing a chunk because some throat forming lintels are that sort of shape.

The surface is a mess so I would assume it was chipped out. It's certainly not uniform or even central to the structure... Damn shame as it's a nice bit of stone and would have looked lovely cleaned up.

A couple more questions...

The stove will protrude out 4 inches proud of the wall above. Will normal plaster be suitable for the wall (it will be a good 2 ft above the top of the stove).

Secondly, I've read all sorts of info on cleaning the bricks inside the fireplace up....I'm thinking of starting with baking soda/soap mix and working my way to brick acid depending on how it goes. Is this reasonable or is the baking soda mix a complete waste of time?

Thanks!

Hot rod meant epoxy based mortar rather than epoxy resin. You can get it pre-mixed in small bags as its usually used for repairs.

You need to used cement based render near the opening as gypsum will fail under heat, but Richard C is the man to advise for that.

As for cleaning the bricks if you can manage the dust, a flap wheel in a drill is the best thing for a small area in my experience.

In regard to the lintel you might be best taking some measurements and posting a few pictures for some advice as to whether or not its still sound for use there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back