help with flat roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

Please can someone give me some advice. I had a cowboy fit a flat roof for me last year. All is well until it started leaking last week. It looks like some brick has eroded away and water is getting in.

ON doing research, I don't think this roof is installed properly. It looks like I need to have some flashing around the side protecting it. One side looks like it has flashing the other does not. The roof is on an old extension at the back of the house. Only two of the sides of the roof are connected to walls (neighbours house and my house).

What do I do. How can I fix flashing without costing me a lot more money. Is there an easy way to place a proper flashing on this.

can I use flexycryl instead. Just slap it on between the roof and the wall.

Please can someone advise me on my options. View media item 19446View media item 19447View media item 19448 View media item 19449 View media item 19450 View media item 19451 View media item 19452

Sponsored Links
He should have fitted a lead upstand http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1403.html

By the way was this your roofer?

pic_cowboy.jpg

:LOL:

Report the idiot to trading standards. :evil:

what a cowboy it would have taken hardly any time to put in new flashing its harder to do it wrong than right find yur roofer and ring his neck cos if he left it like that in the firstplace he wont come back to sort it out

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your feedback.

He is not my roofer. I was new to the area and my brother recommended this builder as "top notch". I found other issues with some of his work and we left on pretty bad terms about two months after the roof was done. This was not leaking so I thought it was ok.

How easy it for me to do this ?. Can I just remove the cenment and apply the lead or do I need to bring the felt up, place in the triangle piece of wood first.

Also, what aluminium flashing tape ? will that work ?

I want to get a roofer, but money is so tight this may take me over the edge. If I can do this myself, I may have to.

Please let me know

Thanks

Bob

Sponsored Links
I`d go with the Wickes - you`ll need a primer to paint on and seal the brickwork . I`ve seen it for sale @ wickes -in tins . Dunno about screwfix. :confused: . If you get it to stick nice and tight , it`ll do a good DIY job ;)

Has no one noticed it looks as if he has overlaid an old asphalt roof with a layer of mineral
The very least you need to do if fix a felt flashing torch applied up the brickwork and into a chase.
If you cant do this get some fibreglass matt and form a flashing with your Acrypol still needs to be into a chase in the brickwork.
You would paint on 1 coat extending down over the felt and min 150mm up the wall bed the fibreglass matt into this whilst still wet then apply another coat the next day if you have not got a fibreglass company near you Halfords do a car repair kit for a few pounds which has matt in it this might do you would pay anout £1.50m2 for it and this is what Acrypol contracts division use

There are no felt upstands on and no lead cap flashing.It is ok to refelt over an old asphalt roof as long and you use H.P torch on flet(layers 2) and apply bitumin based primer first.The job looks to be done to a very poor standard.I would also bet the felt is not bonded properly either(if you look carfully on one of the pics you can see the tape still there that secures the rolls together.if this had been torched correctly this would have melted,any roofer worth his salt removes this tape before hand anyway).Im a time served felt roofer and see this type of workmanship often.The thing is with felt roofs is=slaters do it,builders also,joiners too and every other tom,dick n harry.All think they can can carry out felt works but the reality is very few can.Me i would have cleaned and primed the roof.Fixed a layer of icopol hp sbs torch on underlay and icopol hp sbs torch on mineral cap sheet(technotorch).The system mentioned is better than durbigam and bouder in my opinion,i have fixed just about every brand of felt there is goob and bad but the icopol mentioned takes some beating ;) .

Hi Everyone

Please can someone give me some advice. I had a cowboy fit a flat roof for me last year. All is well until it started leaking last week. It looks like some brick has eroded away and water is getting in.

ON doing research, I don't think this roof is installed properly. It looks like I need to have some flashing around the side protecting it. One side looks like it has flashing the other does not. The roof is on an old extension at the back of the house. Only two of the sides of the roof are connected to walls (neighbours house and my house).

What do I do. How can I fix flashing without costing me a lot more money. Is there an easy way to place a proper flashing on this.

can I use flexycryl instead. Just slap it on between the roof and the wall.

Please can someone advise me on my options. View media item 19446View media item 19447View media item 19448 View media item 19449 View media item 19450 View media item 19451 View media item 19452

main issues here "MONEY AND STOPPING LEAK "

If you was to just slap on some flashing tape you would have a problem sealing it with the brickwork crumbling and in the state it looks .

mix up some sand and cement put some pva on the wall and fill all the voids in the brick work . you could rest a batten on some bricks so you could point down to . do not just cement it up to the bottom ..if not at least you have a structure to then tape over ....
gob it up with cement ........ it will work . this is going to be your cheapest way ....

Bob,

I would suggest a liquid applied membrane roof material applied to the felt and up onto the brick/stonework. You'll need to address the hole in the bricks first though.

check out www.belzona.com, 01423 567641, they've a guy in your area.

Nick from Belfast

There are no felt upstands on and no lead cap flashing.It is ok to refelt over an old asphalt roof as long and you use H.P torch on flet(layers 2) and apply bitumin based primer first.The job looks to be done to a very poor standard.I would also bet the felt is not bonded properly either(if you look carfully on one of the pics you can see the tape still there that secures the rolls together.if this had been torched correctly this would have melted,any roofer worth his salt removes this tape before hand anyway).Im a time served felt roofer and see this type of workmanship often.The thing is with felt roofs is=slaters do it,builders also,joiners too and every other tom,dick n harry.All think they can can carry out felt works but the reality is very few can.Me i would have cleaned and primed the roof.Fixed a layer of icopol hp sbs torch on underlay and icopol hp sbs torch on mineral cap sheet(technotorch).The system mentioned is better than durbigam and bouder in my opinion,i have fixed just about every brand of felt there is goob and bad but the icopol mentioned takes some beating

horrible.gif

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back