Help with garage / workshop floor problem please....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,
I've had a new garage/workshop built but the builder has made a mess of laying the concrete base. As far as I understand it the problems are because he failed to come back and check the surface once the bulk of it had started to set. The symptoms are that there are ridges and float marks and that it is not level. I am loathed to accept it like it is (there will be an excess gap of 20mm under the big doors at one side and whenever I use a portable bench or trestle it is likely to rock).

I can't raise the level inside because the side door (which is made of steel, so cant easily be cut down) opens inwards.

The kind of things I'm considering at the moment are:

'Fingertip' checking the whole area (normal single garage size) and doing separate repairs where needed, either chipping out or drilling to provide a key for skimmed over sections.

Hiring a surface scaler and cutting back the surface before putting a skim over the top of the whole area.

Using some form of polymer bonding to bond a very thin skim over the whole surface (although I can't really think this would work)?

Any thoughts on the above or other ideas please?

Have read the sticky on self leveling treatment - would this be suitable in my case please?

The workshop is used for woodwork and metalwork (including grinding, welding and metal turning, the latter of which normally gives rise to some swarf on the floor, and, of course, the welding gives rise to hot sparks).

Graham.

Sponsored Links
i hope you havent paid him in full.its always a good lever to get the builder back,if you owe him money.

sounds like a bit of a rough job to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back