Help with hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a four year old house and I am trying to figure out how the hot water system works.

In the kitchen there is a Siemens RWB9 control panel, there's also a Potterton Promax boiler too. Then upstairs in the airing cupboard I have a water tank.

I'm having a problem switching the water tank off. It's constantly keeping the water hot, even though the control panel is showing "HW" as switched off and not on a timer / program. The strange thing is the Potterton boiler in the kitchen never fires up until I press "HW" on the programmer.

I thought the idea of the Potterton boiler was to feed the tank upstairs with hot water? If so, how and why is the tank keeping itself warm if the boiler hasn't been on.

I live alone so I don't want the tank constantly switched on because it'll cost me a fortune. I only need it to warm itself when I switch it on basically. Isn't this the idea of the programmer?

The central heating works fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the top of the cylinder, can you see a round plastic cover with a cable coming out of it :?:

If so this is an immersion heater, trace the cable back to where it enters a switched fuse spur and turn it off.

;)

Have a look at the top of the cylinder, can you see a round plastic cover with a cable coming out of it :?:

If so this is an immersion heater, trace the cable back to where it enters a switched fuse spur and turn it off.

;)

No, there's just a pipe coming out of the top of the cylinder - the pipe feels hot too.

There is a dial with numbers on it (a temperature control I think!) stuck to the side of the cylinder though - could that be it?

No, that will be the cylider stat. (should be set between 55' and 60'.

Alter the times on the control panel for HW, so you only heat as you require.

Is the boiler not firing regularly, say after you have run a bath.

Sponsored Links
No, that will be the cylider stat. (should be set between 55' and 60'.

Alter the times on the control panel for HW, so you only heat as you require.

Is the boiler not firing regularly, say after you have run a bath.

Thanks - I'll check that.

I haven't programmed any times yet, so the boiler only runs when I manually switch "HW" on via the programmer (it's set to completely off at the moment).

But - why is the water in the cylinder hot when the boiler downstairs hasn't been on at all? I can't see where the cylinder is getting its hot water from? I've had the boiler on, but only for like two minutes while faffing with the programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back