Help with leaking boiler please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've noticed over the last few days my boiler has been losing pressure and just had a look and there is a slight drip coming from underneath the boiler (see pic)
It is leaking right where the red knob joins the metal! I have tried tightening the screw but it still drips. The boiler works fine apart from having to top up the pressure!
I was wondering if I just have to replace the red knob and screw or whether I have to replace the elbow?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like defective valve. If water is travelling inside the valve spindle and coming out under the screw-head then it sounds as if the spindle is perforated. Either way it's probably a new valve required.

Thanks mate, Is the valve the elbow joint thingy or the red thing?

The water isn't coming out on the screw head but under the red thing where it meets the elbow! The actual screw head is dry and not leaking! It's as though the red thing isn't sealing the hole in the elbow!
Sorry for not knowing the names of things!

Sponsored Links
In that case its the stem gland that's leaking. You'd still be "safer" getting a plumber onto the job as there's a couple of bar of pressure trying to get out.

The metal elbow is the actual isolation valve, the red part turns a quarter-turn to turn the valve on or off. The screw just holds the red part onto the valve.

You will need to get someone in to replace the isolation valve/elbow, inc. the red handle. They are all one fitting.

Try turning the valve a few times it sometimes works

ok, cheers guys for the info! Have managed to get it down to about 1 drip every 30 seconds!
Roughly how much should replacing this cost me? So I know if I'm being ripped off?
Cheers

About £35 for a new valve and about £84 to come with it and replace it and test/service the boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back