HELP WITH LIGHT FITTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem, i have recently bought a bar with 3 spotlight to replace my existing light, after reading the instructions i relised that there are 3 black wires comming out of my existing fitting when the instructions indicate that thier should be only one, i dont no if this is because i have an old fitting, but i followed the instructions clearly and when i turned the power on the lights came on, but when i turned it off the fuse wire blew and i had to replace it, can anyone tell me where i am going wrong or do u need more information...Thanks

Sponsored Links
V_I_C_E said:
I have a problem, i have recently bought a bar with 3 spotlight to replace my existing light, after reading the instructions i relised that there are 3 black wires comming out of my existing fitting when the instructions indicate that thier should be only one, i dont no if this is because i have an old fitting, but i followed the instructions clearly and when i turned the power on the lights came on, but when i turned it off the fuse wire blew and i had to replace it, can anyone tell me where i am going wrong or do u need more information...Thanks

classic DIYers way to wire lights. u got all reds together and all blacks together? cause a direct short. you know which wire is the switch? u got a multimeter? see for reference for how it should be done properly

yeh i am pretty sure which wire is the switch mate but i do not have a multimeter, but yeh i am a DIYer.

V_I_C_E said:
yeh i am pretty sure which wire is the switch mate but i do not have a multimeter, but yeh i am a DIYer.

youll need a multimeter to find the switch. either go get one (a cheap 1 for about £10 will do the job) or get a spark.

Sponsored Links
Andrew - please don't encourage the use of these dreadful SMS abbreviations...

is the switch wire a single black wire which is separate from the other 2 black wires, I marked it so i would no for future reference.

V_I_C_E said:
is the switch wire a single black wire which is separate from the other 2 black wires, I marked it so i would no for future reference.

yes, itll be the black on its own

ban-all-sheds said:
Andrew - please don't encourage the use of these dreadful SMS abbreviations...

i dn't use txt spk!

andrew2022 said:
u got all reds together and all blacks together? cause a direct short. you know which wire is the switch? u got a multimeter? see for reference for how it should be done properly

ban-all-sheds said:
andrew2022 said:
u got all reds together and all blacks together? cause a direct short. you know which wire is the switch? u got a multimeter? see for reference for how it should be done properly

but notice where i said 'you' and not 'u'! thats what counts!

actually, where is have used 'u' is where i edited the post and added more...

V_I_C_E said:
so what do you suggest that i should do now mate?

since you have the switch wire identified, head over to the reference thread and find the wiring diagrams for light fittings. re-wire your light by that

also, depending on the switch, it may need replaced due to damage from the short

do you know which diagram i am looking for? because i am unsure which one i am looking for.

You need to get a piece of terminal block and use it to join all three reds together, but not to anything else. Then connect the black wire from the switch to the live (brown) connection on the light and the other two blacks to the neutral(blue) on the light. Earth wires (there should be three of them) should be covered with green and yellow earth sleeving, and connected to the earthing point on the light if one exists, if not, they need putting in a separate piece of terminal block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back