Help with new Gas Cooker! Curry's installer refused to fit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:

Hi all

My landlord recently ordered a new gas cooker for my property. It arrived, as scheduled, on Sunday morning. However, the Curry's provded installer refused to fit the cooker as he said that behind it there was a standard plastic waste water pipe running flush with the wall which could "get hot". He said it would need a 3-4 inch clearance behind the cooker to be safe, and that he wasn't happy to fit under those circumstances; he noted that he would "leave it there but not install it - someone else could do that". Bizarrely, he recommened that we purchase a "Stoves 500" instead as this would solve the issue.

This seems a little odd to me, as the old flat back gas cooker (the type with a grill pan raised above the hob) has been in the exact same position for 10+ years with no problems I was aware of. As for the "Stoves 500" I can't find anything particular about this type of cooker which would make any difference. Can you guys help?

I kind of got the sense that the installer couldn't be bothered, especially as he was in and out in less than five minutes, but when gas fitting is on the cards, I can't really argue...

Any help or insight much appreciated.

Craig

Sponsored Links
On most cookers the hot flue gases from the oven usually exit near the top/back of the cooker.Some newer(and often cheaper) models have a very large area covering almost the the complete rear area of the cooker where hot oven flue gases exit.In the manufacturers instructions it usually shows a greyed out area where nothing flammable/meltable etc should be fitted.You wouldn`t have to fit a stoves 500,just any cooker where the oven heat exits at hob level instead at the rear.
I would like to think the engineer has followed the correct procedure and saved you a lot of trouble down the line.

true best to check manufacturers instructions all cookers show a shaded square where the back of the cooker gets hot, although most do release the heat along the back at the top, it may well be ok but i am an ex currys installer myself and we are told to air on the side of caution. the reason he suggested a stoves 500 is because the back of the cooker is concave and not flush with the top,therefore although the cooker is pushed right back to the wall there is always a few inch gap between the wall and the back case of the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back