Help With Privet Hedge Please

RDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Earlier this year I had a bare root privet hedge planted, all seems to be well but I have a couple of questions.

Firstly one of them appears to have died, it did have a flurry at the start but the buds/leaves have dried up and fallen off (I suspect due to this relentless sun and no rain, even though I'm watering as much as I can), it's now basically just a stick. Though if you scrape away the bark it is still slightly green...

The question is do I swap it out with a spare I have, or leave it for a while? If so am I okay to swap it out now, does it matter at this point?

Secondly am I okay to trim them back? For example some of the sticks have only sprouted new shoots half way up, the upper portion appears dead, should I trim that back?

Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I would swap the one that's not doing very well. You might be able to get it going with some TLC.
I wouldn't trim it unless it really needs it, give it a chance.
I'm no expert, that's just my opinion.
I've been growing privet cuttings on my window sill. I'll need to check when is best to put them out.

I would swap the one that's not doing very well. You might be able to get it going with some TLC.
I wouldn't trim it unless it really needs it, give it a chance.
I'm no expert, that's just my opinion.
I've been growing privet cuttings on my window sill. I'll need to check when is best to put them out.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back