Help with Replacing Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to replace an old bathroom extractor fan which has a timer with a new one which doesn't have a timer and I would like to use the same pull cord.

The current configuration is a red/yellow/blue cable going from a spur to the fan and another cable, also red/yellow/blue, going from the fan to the pull cord switch.
The new fan (S&P Silent 100) has 2 terminals: Live and Neutral. How do I connect the new fan?
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to replace an old bathroom extractor fan which has a timer with a new one which doesn't have a timer
Why?

Don't you need the fan to carry on running for a while after you leave the room? What'll happen to all the damp air in there if the fan just stops?

The current configuration is a red/yellow/blue cable going from a spur to the fan and another cable, also red/yellow/blue, going from the fan to the pull cord switch.
So 6 conductors (+ 2 earths, I hope) connected to the fan?

Can you describe, or post a photo of, the wiring?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm replacing the old fan because its really old and very noisey. Probably should have purchased a new fan with a timer but I didn't.
There is a cable between the fan and the pull cord with Red, Yellow, Blue and Yellow/Green wires and another cable with the same colour wires going from the fan to a spur. I'll try and post a picture soon.

Thanks Again

Sorry - I didn't mean a 'spur' I meant a junction box. I have a cable going straight from the junction box to the old fan with another cable going traight form the a pull cord switch to the fan and I want to install the new fan which only has 2 terminals: L and N.

any help.....?

Sponsored Links
Sorry - I didn't mean a 'spur' I meant a junction box. I have a cable going straight from the junction box to the old fan with another cable going traight form the a pull cord switch to the fan and I want to install the new fan which only has 2 terminals: L and N.

any help.....?

I think the cable from your pull cord to the extractor fan is the switch live.
the one from the juction box to the extractor fun should be the permament live.
Installing an exctractor fun without timer you don't need the permanent live any more.

This is one way in wich your old extractor fan could have been wired.
:p :p

This shows standard wiring
but sorry no standard colour code as should be two browns and one blue.

The rules want either the fan to run 24/7 or to run on 15 minutes after you switch it off if there is no opening window.

If there is no window you can use light switch to work fan but with a non opening window you need a separate switch.

I have seen pneumatic wall switches used but the pull cords with timer built in are expensive at £30 likely better to get a fan with one built in.

Other method is a PIR again expensive.

If the bathroom does not need a fan "Opening window" then you can do as you like for switching.

However although Part P allows you to replace like for like if you change control then not like for like and then you have to pay the LABC over £100 which seems a bit steep so likely getting a fan same as original is cheapest option.

Don't take my word for it read Part F and P of building regulations.

Thanks Brunko and ericmark for your comments and help. Sorry, but I'm still not sure how to wire the new fan?!
The new fan doesn't have a timer but the bathroom has a window so I think I'm okay.

Current Wiring
There is a cable (Red/Yellow/Blue and Earth) going directly from a junction box to the fan which has a timer. There is another cable (Red/Yellow/Blue and Earth) between a pull cord switch going directly into the fan - fan has 2 incoming cables. The pull cord has the blue and yellow wires connected to the same terminal.

New Fan
When installing the new fan which only has 2 terminals, L and N, which is the best way to wire the fan? I'm presuming 2 cables shouldn't be connected directly to the fan? Shouldn't there be a cable (Red/Yellow/Blue) from the junction box directly to the pull cord and a L and N cable from the pull cord to the fan or have I lost the plot? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back