help with replacing old central heating timer please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need a bit of help replacing a central heating timer. The boiler is oil and single circuit, the pipework heating the radiators and hot water tank simultaneously.

The existing timer is mechanical and the replacement is a Drayton Tempus 1 electronic timer for systems with 1 heating circuit.
My problem stems from the different connections on the old and new timers.

The old one has just 3 connections on a connection block (numbered 1,2,3), the new one six. As the old timer hasn't got one of the "new" standard 6 pin backplates I can't work out what goes where.

The wires I can see in the wall box and where they are connected to the old timer are as follows...

Thick black cable (presuming to boiler), 4 wires
black - connected to 3
red - connected to 1 (live only when timer switched to "on")
green - earthed
blue - not connected

2 grey cables, 3 core (seem to be on same circuit as kitchen light wiring),
black - connected to 3
red - connected to 2
green - earthed
black - connected to to 3
red - connected to 2
green - earthed

So, in other words there are 3 black wires connected to 3, 2 red wires connected to 2 and one red wire connected to1. The red wires/terminal on 2 is permanently live, the red wire/ terminal on 1 is only live when the boiler has switched on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see, and from the instructions for the clock:

The red that is on 1 on the old timer goes to terminal 3 on the new one

All the other reds go on to L

All the blacks go on N

Put a link between L and 1

That should do it.

Thanks for the reply Taylortwocities.

When you say "put a link between L and 1" I presume you mean just join these two terminals with a short piece of suitable wire, yes?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back