Bathroom Light Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem? I decided to replace the bathroom light. However, when I connected the new light it won't now switch off. There are 3 cables coming through the ceiling as follows:-

Cable 1 – Black 1
Red 1
Green/yellow 1
Cable 2 – Black 2
Red 2
Green/yellow 2
Cable 3 – Blue 3
Red 3

The wires are connected into connector blocks as follows:-

Connector Block 1
Black 1
Red 1 + Red 2
Green/yellow 1 + Green/yellow 2

Connector Block 2
Blue 3 + Red 3 + Black 2

I've connected wires from the light to the points in connector block 1. Sorry, but I'm a bit of a dummy where electrics is concerned.

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Cable 3 – Blue 3
Red 3
There are no cables with just a Blue and a Red.
Could it be Blue and Brown or
is there a Yellow as well.
Either way it should have a CPC (earth wire)

I've connected wires from the light to the points in connector block 1.
Do you mean both wires from the lights are in the same connector?

Pictures are good.

Sounds as if you may have your permanent live and your switch live mixed up- or connected together. Photographs!!!!

Did you make a note of the positions of cables to terminals before you started - say a photograph?

Do you have a multi meter?

Haves you looked on wiki for Electrics UK Lighting?

Sponsored Links
Where are the blue and brown wires coming from?

For this type of arrangement you would normally have a four terminal strip.
For earth, neutral(black), permanent live(2 reds) and switch live (black/red sleeve?).
The outlet to the light goes from the other side of that terminal strip.
with the brown to the switch live, the neutral(blue) to the neutral and earth to earth.

No idea where the blue and brown wires come from. The wires were originally in a four terminal strip but I separated the one connector off because it wouldn't fit in the light fitting which fits flush to the ceiling.

For the moment leave the brown and blue wires in their individual terminals.
Get a four way terminal strip and connect the cables as described above.
Get a brown, blue and earth(sleeved) cable and connect to the opposite side of the terminal strip black = blue. black(red sleeve) = brown and earth to earth.

Connect the switch live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth to the lamp itself.

Your light should work normally now.
Regarding the other brown and blue that could lead to a second lamp somewhere - did the switch operate two lights?

Thanks for your suggestion - I will try that. There was originally an extractor fan in the bathroom but we got an electrician to disconnect it when we had some other work done.

Riveralt - I've done as you suggested and it works. Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

EFLImpudence - apologies for my attempt at trying to describe the wiring. I should have thought to post a picture in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back