Wiring a new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire a new light in a bedroom. The new light fitting has 1 cable with three wires (brown, blue and yellow/green), the old light fitting has 1 cable with two wires (brown and blue) and there are 3 cables coming out of the ceiling each with 2 wires (red and black). At present all 3 red wires go to 1 connector that doesn't go anywhere else, 2 of the black wires connect to the brown and the other connects to the blue. How do I connect the new light with its 3 wires?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
would you believe the same way as the light is now, except you must also connect the earth (gn/y) the earth you are looking for should be there some where (he said hopefully)

Interplay said:
I am trying to wire a new light in a bedroom. The new light fitting has 1 cable with three wires (brown, blue and yellow/green), the old light fitting has 1 cable with two wires (brown and blue) and there are 3 cables coming out of the ceiling each with 2 wires (red and black). At present all 3 red wires go to 1 connector that doesn't go anywhere else, 2 of the black wires connect to the brown and the other connects to the blue. How do I connect the new light with its 3 wires?

Many thanks

its in the 'for reference' topic at the top

Remember the earth connection is essential. If you can't find one at the ceiling rose then you must not use your new light.

Sponsored Links
i will add to that if you do find earth wires that are not connected together you really need to test/inspect the whole cuircuit before connecting any class 1 equipment to it

when you find one fault like that you have to assume there are likely to be more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back