Ceiling light advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tomorrow i need to replace a ceiling light but need to check one thing before i do the job.
In the ceiling rose i have the following.
3 reds in a block connector marked L
1 single black in block connector joined with blue wire from light
2 blacks in block connector joined with brown wire from light
1 earth in block connecter marked E

As the new light is metal i was going to fit the green/yellow wire from the light to the 1 earth block marked E and just fit the colours like for like as i have mentioned above blue/1 black & brown/2 black.

BUT

I have seen a wiring diagram where the above stays the same but the blue & brown wire from the light have been switched around meaning 1 single black/brown & 2 blacks/blue ?????

I would like to ask before i do this just to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Do you not have a multimeter and a good understanding of how lighting circuits work?

For some reason they've connected what should be the the neutral wire from the light to the switched live, and the live to neutrals.

Won't stop the light working, but there's a minor safety risk with full-sized ES lamps, if that's what it takes, in that if you change the lamp with it switched on you could possibly touch the screw part, which in your light will be live.

Swap them round so that brown is live and blue is neutral.

1 single black in block connector joined with blue wire from light
2 blacks in block connector joined with brown wire from light

That seems like it MAY be wrong.

Whatever you do, make sure you mark and remember, what Blacks are together, before you start.

Sponsored Links
I am leaving the existing wires in place.
I am only removing the blue & brown wire from the old light the fitting the new light to the existing wires.
My understanding is the 2 black wires are the loop wires "from previous light/to next light" and should have the blue wiring connected to it.
The single black wire is the switch live so the brown wire is connected to it.

I think this is right but i asked first.

So the brown i have fits 1 as 2 is the switched live.
The blue goes to 8 as 6 & 7 and from the previous & next light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back