Help with shower installation horror show

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have ripped out the corner shower enclosure and walls because there was a leak, and the tiles had blown. The photos tell the story best.
As you can see from the mould on the plasterboard and plywood that the plasterboard was mounted on, the shower had been installed poorly, to say the least. I'm going to reinstall the shower enclosure with a friend. We plan to use Elements board to mount the tiles on.
This forum, as ever, has provided a great deal of helpful guidance. However, I have a few questions (and likely more to follow as we proceed!):
1. Would it be best to mount the Elements board on marine ply or to attach noggins to the stud work and attach Elements board to one of these options because the stud work is sat too far back?
2. How do we detach the shower drain to remove the shower tray without damaging the pipe work? I'd thought about cutting around it to allow the rest of the tray to be removed. I suspect that the tray may have been mounted in a cowboy-like manner too, as it had cracked.
3. As one of the photos shows, one of the pieces of stud work is split. Is it advisable to screw this together, or is it necessary to replace it?
4. As you can see, the insulation was randomly installed and has become damp. We'll remove it, but should we insulate behind the Elements board we install, or is it unnecessary?

As ever, thank you, good people.
IMG_6084.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Marine ply is an expensive choice as you could just use normal ply with the Elements board over it. The shower waste will have an internal removable trap or sleeve that you slide upwards to remove and then you can unscrew the upper trap from the waste beneath the tray, they often have ribs that you can use something the correct width to help turn it anticlockwise and it should unscrew. This will help ...
The stud with the split can just be screwed together and yes i would advise new insulation between the studwork and get rid of the damp stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back