Shower tray sealed after enclosure installed

That kind of response takes my breath away, where the integrity, if he readily accepted the wall plates were wrong then why try and get away with it?? Just get the hands up, admit it and get it sorted.

As far as the holes in the panels are concerned then that's a personal thing, if you're not happy with it then he needs to fix it. Simples.

Sponsored Links
That kind of response takes my breath away, where the integrity, if he readily accepted the wall plates were wrong then why try and get away with it?? Just get the hands up, admit it and get it sorted.

As far as the holes in the panels are concerned then that's a personal thing, if you're not happy with it then he needs to fix it. Simples.

Yes absolutely... no apology and just made it sound like it was a blameless act of god and his error. He kept pressurising me saying things like 'we REALLY don't want to be removing the boards' and making it seem like I was being fussy...

My gut is still to insist on a re-do. I have another shower in the meantime and work at home so it's not like I need to take time off when work is being done, so I'm lucky in that I don't need to settle for a quick fix in the same way others might have to.

For me it’s new enclosure, new panels, and what ever happens to the Plasterboards happens, ie repair/replace, once it’s all out and cleaned up, inspect the tray for damages, let them carry on and inspect things as the job progresses, for piece of mind

Id give them the chance to put stuff right, at their cost, if they aren’t prepared to do that, let them rip it out and take it away, and get someone else to install new gear

You paid for a job, it needs to be the way you reasonably expect it to be. If it were me I wouldn't want to have the panels removed either but if it's wrong and cant be suitably repaired then it's back to scratch.

If they consider them professionals then they should be allowed to just make it right then hang their head, since they got it so obviously wrong in the first place.

TBH though, if they were professionals you shouldn't be finding yourself in the place you are just now.

Sponsored Links
Update today, they've accepted the idea of adding some trim is a crap one but are now trying to fob me off by saying that the replacement enclosure can be brought forward to cover the holes. I said the instructions say the enclosure needs to be 10mm in from the edge of the tray and they're trying to rely on the fact that it says this is the 'ideal installation', as if that implies I should accept something less. The holes go right to the edge of the shower panels so how exactly do they expect to be able to seal the enclosure to the tray properly if they're flush? Anyway there's no way I'm going along with this as it's clearly yet another attempt to bodge.

Tomorrow I'm going to ask for my money back as there's no way I trust them to rectify the situation any more. I've given them 2 opportunities now to redo the job in a proper way and they're still trying to bodge it, so I've totally lost faith.

So unfortunately communication has completely broken down - as before, he's trying to argue that the enclosure can be moved to cover the holes and trying to rely on a technicality in the instructions for the enclosure which say 'in an ideal installation set the wall profiles 10mm back from the face of the tray', the implication being that this isn't mandatory. He claims to have contacted the manufacturer who has allegedly advised that the enclosure being 3-5mm back from the edge is fine, though I suspect he's either lying about that or not giving the full story there. I find it hard to believe a 3mm gap would leave enough room for a sufficiently thick bead of silicone on the outside of the frame.

The instructions also say in a separate section that the enclosure needs to be adjusted so there's an even gap of 12mm between the front edge of the tray and bottom track, so I don't see how that's possible if the profiles are set only 3-5mm back from the edge. And that still doesn't answer my point that the exposed holes would go right to the edge of the panels, so even if the wall profiles were set 3-5mm back, that wouldn't completely cover them.

He also said that his workers felt uneasy because I kept taking photos and videos when they were doing the work. That's a complete lie as I didn't do that once; I only ever interrupted them to ask if they wanted anything to drink (wish I hadn't bothered now!). I'm not going to engage any further if that's how he wants to play it...

What a clown. I've got a quote from someone else to rectify the work so will look to get my money back through the legal route if I have no other option.

Thanks for all your advice.

If your going down the legal road, I believe you have to give them a chance to rectify the problems/issues, don’t hold me to that though

If your going down the legal road, I believe you have to give them a chance to rectify the problems/issues, don’t hold me to that though

Yeah I did give him the chance but he just kept trying to fob me off. Short of begging I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Get the legal advice first then go from there, ie letter giving them the chance to sort the issues to your/adequate standard, so your covered legally yourself, I mean make sure everything is in writing and correct, verbally it’s your word against his

Get the legal advice first then go from there, ie letter giving them the chance to sort the issues to your/adequate standard, so your covered legally yourself, I mean make sure everything is in writing and correct, verbally it’s your word against his

Yeah I get you, conveniently he actually sent me a long email explaining why he won't re-do it to the standard I've asked for so that was quite handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back