Silicone on Inside of Shower Enclosure to Seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm fitting a shower enclosure to a shallow shower tray. The instructions (and other articles on the web) say just to silicone where the enclosure meets the tiles and shower enclosure on the exterior only. I have read that siliconing the inside of the tray can cause leaks but don't understand how.

What is the reason for not sealing between the enclosure and the tray / tiles on the inside of the enclosure? Having a shallow shower tray means the bottom of the enclosure will be exposed to more water than a deeper tray and I was wondering whether or not to clear silicone seal the inside side of the bottom rail of the enclosure rather than just rely on the silicone on the outside.

Any opinions?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you follow the instructions the enclosure will be guaranteed. If you silly it on the inside the frame will fill with water and leak out higher up through unsealed bits, it need to be able to run into the tray.

Silicon inside and more than likely you will get a leak. You will prevent the water from draining freely to tray by sealing inside due to design water will make its way to outside.
If you doubt our wisdom feel free to seal inside.

Sponsored Links
Ahhh. That makes total sense - thank you. I will definitely NOT seal the inside!

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back