Help with shower pump please?!

Sponsored Links
Apologies, I'm not suggesting that your BIL hasn't installed it correctly, it was just to understand whether the installer was experienced or not. That and the fact that he isn't back sorting it out for you as I wouldn't have expected an experience resource to not ensure that everything was ok, or be back to sort it. Though I must be honest the pump sitting on that little platform was always going to be really noisy.

No it hasn't, the flange they have is a Warwix flange, not a Surrey (S) flange. A warwix flange vents to the side and the dip tube air free water is the centre tube, a surrey flange is the other way around, as per your diagram. Have a look at the flange that is fitted to the top of the cylinder in the first pic

Surrey Flange, top vent --------------- Warwix flange, side vent

View attachment 330146 View attachment 330148
Thank you so much for all your inputs.
There is no doubt that something has been installed incorrectly. Unfortunately his dad just passed away yesterday so I’m not even bothering him for a while.

Can someone explain to me why the pump still keeps hunting on and off, even after no hot tap is on…for 20minutes?! I can understand if things are not well installed, having problems while using it, but why when it’s off?

That's is usually down to either air or water movement in the pipe, tripping the flow switches, which, in this case, isn't clear. Could even be down to a dripping tap etc

That's is usually down to either air or water movement in the pipe, tripping the flow switches, which, in this case, isn't clear. Could even be down to a dripping tap etc
Now that you say that I think it might only happen when I use the shower and when I turn it off it still drips for a few minutes…which is also a bit annoying to be honest since its an expensive Hansgrohe Raindance.
Ideally you would turn the valve off and I would assume a couple of drops but not many more!?

Also can someone clarify that the pump when running should do a continuous noise rather than the on/off it currently does? Or is that normal and how they operate?

Sponsored Links
No, a pump should run continuously when there is demand, it shouldn't surge. The shower head may still drop water as it empties from the rain shower head but that shouldn't affect the pump.

When you turn on the shower and the pump kicks in, are you able to take a vid of that and upload it? Also one of it running on.

I have a stuart tuner 3 bar pump and the noise is also very audible - I wish I had gone unvented but its too late - These things make noise and there seems to be no way round them

Mine is sat on a plywod base and a rubber mat pecially made for these pumps but still noisy sadly
It's whst I say every time I'm asked to fit a pump. In the long run it's cheaper than fitting a pump correctly to the MI's, and less to ho wrong.

There is nothing right about the installation.

You either ask him to sort it out or you cut your loses and get someone else in.

Regardless of why it's been done that way you would be better off with an unvented cylinder. If that pump packs up any time soon, the manufacturer will not validate the warranty.

We do all make mistakes and it's even harder when it's family.

Save everyone's blushes and cut your loses.

When you turn on the shower and the pump kicks in, are you able to take a vid of that and upload it? Also one of it running on.
I will, thanks

On another note, got to give it to Grundfos for their CS...I emailed them last week and a guy called me today.
Told me that it looks like I have air trapped inside...that I need to put the pump on the floor / base of tank and that I should install some sort of "non-return flow valve" (I think he said) one one of the pipes...I hope my brother in law will understand what he meant and where exactly it needs to go. Hopefully that will solve all the problems.

All things that you guys told me in the first place anyway.

I'll happily 2nd that, I've found Grundfos to be pretty good with their customer service.

The non return will probably be on the hot supply to the pump as the shower should have them already fitted, may be an idea to fit them onto the basin as well, if that is fed by the pump too.

I'll happily 2nd that, I've found Grundfos to be pretty good with their customer service.

The non return will probably be on the hot supply to the pump as the shower should have them already fitted, may be an idea to fit them onto the basin as well, if that is fed by the pump too.
The shower has one of those fancy Hansgrohe iBox wall valves behind...assume that should do the job?!
For the basin, where would I fit a non return to the basin? Thanks

The shower has one of those fancy Hansgrohe iBox wall valves behind...assume that should do the job?!
For the basin, where would I fit a non return to the basin? Thanks
On the hot/cold water supply under the basin - just a single check/non return to minimise any resistance to the gravity flow

On the hot/cold water supply under the basin - just a single check/non return to minimise any resistance to the gravity flow
So, finally my brother in law has time to come and hopefully rectify the issue.
Things I’ve told him to do:
1- put the pump on the floor (I’ve cut two nice pieces of heavy granite so the pump can sit on)
2- basically turn the pipes at the top of the pump around 180deg almost…so that the first one that comes from the top goes sideways to the pump but the other one that continues up, turn and has a 45deg angle towards the cold feed…basically like the diagram on the page 1.

Does that sound correct to you? I believe any small bubble are going up and get sucked by the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back