- Joined
- 12 Jan 2020
- Messages
- 26
- Reaction score
- 2
- Country

I have a Total Home TTHWFP heating controller as of the start of the year. It was fitted alongside a new relay box by a heating engineer. I have it programmed to come on for a couple of hours in the morning and the same in the evening and it was initially fine. Around May this year I remember waking up in the middle of the night to find the radiators on when it certainly wasn't cold enough to require this according to the programming. I temporarily fixed this by just manually switching it on or off and time got away from me....we had a really hot summer where the central heating wasn't required and I just never investigated further.
Today i've turned it on again for the first time just to test because I know it will need to be back in use soon and it is immediately acting up. Its on the Auto setting (i.e. programmed to kick in twice a day) and the thermostat has both:
1) Had the flame icon (so requested heat) when the temperature shown on the screen is definitely above the temperature that should trigger this. The boiler fired up.
2) The boiler has also fired up when the thermostat does not have the flame icon.
3) The relay box has shown a solid red light for some part of the time, which doesn't actually appear in the troubleshooting section of the (very short) instruction manual.
These things have happened within a couple of hours. Fundamentally the heating should not be coming on at the moment because the room is warm enough but it definitely has done so intermittently. Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this? I'm confused whether there is an issue with the relay or thermostat or both. I've now just turned the thermostat to 'OFF' but would like to have some heating at some point! The device itself is probably under warranty but there would still potentially be the cost of getting a heating engineer to come and install a new one even if I got a new device.
Cheers!
Today i've turned it on again for the first time just to test because I know it will need to be back in use soon and it is immediately acting up. Its on the Auto setting (i.e. programmed to kick in twice a day) and the thermostat has both:
1) Had the flame icon (so requested heat) when the temperature shown on the screen is definitely above the temperature that should trigger this. The boiler fired up.
2) The boiler has also fired up when the thermostat does not have the flame icon.
3) The relay box has shown a solid red light for some part of the time, which doesn't actually appear in the troubleshooting section of the (very short) instruction manual.
These things have happened within a couple of hours. Fundamentally the heating should not be coming on at the moment because the room is warm enough but it definitely has done so intermittently. Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this? I'm confused whether there is an issue with the relay or thermostat or both. I've now just turned the thermostat to 'OFF' but would like to have some heating at some point! The device itself is probably under warranty but there would still potentially be the cost of getting a heating engineer to come and install a new one even if I got a new device.
Cheers!