Help with wood surface preperation before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, I'm planning on painting wooden doors and staircase soon. The wood is a dark rosewood colour. From reading the other posts in this forum I know roughly how to prepare the surfaces so it will take the paint. I just have a couple of questions -

1) I plan to clean the wood surfaces thoroughly with a solution of sugar soap and water. I have read about degreasing with meths or white spirit. Please can someone kindly explain the reason degreasing is required when preparing a wood surface for painting. Is there a reason I should degrease the surface in addition to cleaning with sugar soap or is it possible to ignore this as the end result will be a clean surface regardless of method.

2) Can someone help to clarify the correct order I should prepare a wood surface that has never been painted. I think there is possibly a layer of varnish I have to remove. I plan to sand to remove varnish. Any depressions or dints to be filled then sanded smooth. Dust off and clean thoroughly. Apply any knot treatment required. Spot prime filled areas with primer (or should I spot prime filled areas with watered down paint ?) Finally prime entire surface area before painting. Is this the correct order ?

2) I plan to use waterbased Dulux trade diamond satinwood to paint using an airless sprayer (house is empty, whole thing needs repainting). I would be interested to know if anybody has ever tried this succesfully and any tips or experience they can pass on would be greatly received.

3) I originally planned to spray any knots in the wood with BIN aerosol and then use Zinsser 123 as a primer before top coating but as the wood is dark would BIN be a better choice to obliterate the original colour of the wood. Ideally I wanted to avoid priming the whole surface areas with BIN due to the overpowering fumes it generates. I would be interested to know is there much difference between the 2 products when it comes to obliterating/covering the colour of the wood underneath. Also I have read mixed reports that a primer is not required on woodwork when using dulux trade diamond satinwood as it is self undercoating. Is this true ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated people.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back