Painting wood panels...it's [b]not[/b] going well !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My hallway, stairs and landing are covered in wood panelling. It had been painted a really dark colour so I decided to strip the lot.

I've spent weeks and weeks burning off the old paint...
I've spent weeks and weeks sanding every surface...
I knotted the knots, and filled the gaps!

I'm now priming (using a Dulux pure white water based primer) and no matter how many coats I apply a brownish colour is bleeding through the paint. It's showing through on the entire panel and not the wooden strips or skirting.

What do I do?
(Bearing in mind the whole lot has now had at least one coat of primer)

Thanks,
Brian.

Sponsored Links
Just been browsing previous posts...and B-I-N Shellac-Based Primer-Sealer sounds just the job.

Agreed?

you can also use Aluminium Wood Primer (it looks grey not silvery but contains Aluminium particles which leaf together when it dries).

Any proper paint shop will sell it.

It is good for burned-off woodwork and it seals knots. It is also hard-wearing and I like it for outside work and I prefer it to shellac knotting. (I am just a householder)

Clean off any visible resin with a rag and white spirit first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back