help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lighting keeps blowing. I have changed a light in the lounge and when I connect a thrid feed to it, the whole lot blows the RCD. The light worded before I changed it and I only replaced the wiring with exactly the same so no changes anywhere. I don\\\'t understand why it doesn\\\'t work now. I have a live feed going in with another red wire going in which lights up the outside light but when I put in the other red wire that works the kitchen lights, dinning room lights and up stairs lights, the RCD pops.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can try to correct it? I have stripped back all jackets to see if there is a wire touching other wires but nothing has been found. I am in darkness from 8.00pm and have to use a lamp to light up everywhere and it is getting frustrating.
Please help!
Thanks in anticipation.
Adam. :(

Sponsored Links
Adam, is this RCD your main switch?

If it is you are probably introducing an Earth fault in the process of connecting up. This does not mean there is a fault on the circuit, it simply means that inadvertantly you have possibly touched the Neutral and Earth together or possibly the Live and Neutral.

If you do that on any installation that is fed via an RCD/RCBO, it thinks there is a fault and trips.

If this is the situation, then you need to have the main power OFF, and do all your connections then.

Turn on the RCD, wait a second or two, then turn on the MCB for the lighting circuit concerned.

If the RCD trips again then you have a fault and you will need to re-check EVERY connection to ensure nothing is out of place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back