HELP !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some double glazed windows and doors fitted (PVC) by a local company - The standard of workmanship sucks

1. For "tidy trims" read gallons of sealant which has turned yellow
2. For "like for like read" the sill on one bay window sticks out further than the other (and further than the 'roof' of the bay so water cascades down off the roof of the bay onto the sill like water being poured from a kettle - so plenty of sleepless nights.
3. There is a mark on one of the internal sealed units
4. Mould on the inside of windows
5. Vertical trims come loose

In short a nightmare -

Now heres the rub. I appoached FENSA (I have the certificate) - they didnt want to know unless chapter so and so, verse whatever had been breached to do with planning & building regs. Fat lot of good they are

I tried to approach the glass & Glazing federation - the company werent registered with them - so they couldnt do anything

Trading Standards are a bunch or useless pr*cks just giving "advice" as far as I can tell are toothless .

We took out an independant warranty (10 years) that we have now found out only covers us if the double glazing firm goes bust or stops trading and we need repairs.

It appears to me that anyone in this country can do cr@p workmanship and get away with it big time.

I have made approaches to the company involved and they arent being too helpful. Rather than take out legal advice is there ANY governing body that covers window & door installations as regards standard of workmanship ??

Any advice welcome !!!!

Sponsored Links
Nesty, it sounds as though these people are in breach of their contract. Whenever I have problems like this, I always send a letter, pointing out breach of contract and add the following wording: 'If I don't hear from you within 7 days with your proposals for fixing this problem, I will take further action without notice to you. That action may include litigation.'

It usually works. The main thing is to let them know that you are serious. Don't be wordy. Don't use emotive phrases. Just tell them what will happen if they don't play ball.

I feel vindicated!

I have said all along that FENSA was rubbish and didnt work, oh deep joy! I get the BCO out to check my work.

The company dont care two figs about you and if they are a smallish company, when you start legals they will just dissapear and start somewhere else, normally taking as many cash dippers as poss before hand. Sorry but have seen it all before. (Hopefully I'm wrong)

Try the letter approach first and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
wedge69 said:
Out of interest, what company was it? We were looking for companies in your area.

They are a small company - somewhere in the "Cotswold" area (if you catch my drift)

I have sent e-mails and letters. They have come round and suggested things that we can do to rectify - like putting up ugly guttering, and using bleach to remove the mould (back in 2 weeks).

Latest is I have asked them to meet me at the house and if that does nowt I will seak legal advice - thanks fellas !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back