HENRY Hoover stopped working....

Sponsored Links
I bypassed it initially just to prove it was the cause and then replaced it – I need a lower suction for curtains/cushions so didn’t want to bypass permanently and lose the lower power option. NB the PCB design has actually changed (still 4 terminal) and is wired slightly differently – there is a wiring diagram included with the part which gives full details.
I very much doubt it is possible to repair a PCB, I did try giving it a clean and looked for anything obvious but more in hope than anything else.
I suspect, given the young age of my Henry and the similar experiences of others on here, changing to a HI/LO switch with a light has not been a positive move for Henry.

Do you still have the old board?

Any chance of a photo of both sides of the board and of the diagram even though thats for the newer board. Much appreciated.

The old board might be in the bin, I'll have a rummage if it helps. Will happily scan the wiring diagram for the new PCB for you. Can you message me your email address so I can send it direct to you - don't know how successful I'd be posting a photo on here!

Sponsored Links
Not sure how to message you.
Write this down and let me know when you have it and I will remove after.
**********@yahoo.co.uk

You probably need to change your profile settings to allow members to email you.

Just to revive this thread i had the same problem with my 2 yr old Henry so removed the small pc board and wires as shown in this photo.I then wired up the two white wires to the opposite side of the on/off switch and all is now working except the turbo switch which we never used anyway..easy.

Henry

If Henry is showing no signs of life(!)

- First thing to check is the fuse.....
- Next, check the on/off switch. If you are not competent enough, get an electrician to test this by bypassing it using the wires. Brown (live) to brown, blue (neutral) to blue. Safety first people. If Henry works, order a new switch, the easiest and cheapest part to find and replace for a Henry!
- Failing this, some Henrys have a hi/lo switch that may be faulty. As has happened twice to me in one week with 2 different Henrys. This switch is attached to a tiny circuit board further within Henry's casing. Unscrew a further 3 screws to get to the motor compartment, making sure to lift the casing off the right side up. The wires from the hi/lo rocker switch can be clipped off and transfered directly to the on/off rocker switch, where the live and neutral should be. Simply throw away the useless circuit board and keep the disconnected hi/lo switch in place if you wish. You will not have the hi/lo facility anymore. As your Henry gets older, you may find the hi/lo facility becomes an annoyance anyway! Not worth the hassle to replace in my opinion.
- If this is not the cause, the next thing to check is the motor brushes. Again, easily obtainable and replacable. This is a common problem with older Henrys as the brushes become worn over time with use.

Failing this, it might be time for a new Henry. This is all I know so far, feel free to add more solutions.

Good luck and keep Henry alive people.
Henry hoovers are very easy to fix in my DIY experience (I run a B&B). I hope the following helps someone.

Safety first: keep Henry unplugged at all times during disassemble. Reassemble fully to test Henry after eliminating each step, only then plug in. Apart from obvious electrical safety, this also prevents all sorts of problems if the motor kicks in with the casing loose!

Tools needed: 1 Philips screwdriver and a 2 hands ready for dirt

Here is my checklist for you:

If your Henry cuts out intermittantly

- It is most likely the copper contacts within the the cable reel. There are 4 screws to unscrew to get to this. These can be bought very cheaply and replaced (www.espares.co.uk or www.ebay.co.uk).

- It could also simply be a loose contact in the plug, very common with the hoover being tugged all the time.

If Henry is showing no signs of life(!)

- First thing to check is the fuse.....
- Next, check the on/off switch. If you are not competent enough, get an electrician to test this by bypassing it using the wires. Brown (live) to brown, blue (neutral) to blue. Safety first people. If Henry works, order a new switch, the easiest and cheapest part to find and replace for a Henry!
- Failing this, some Henrys have a hi/lo switch that may be faulty. As has happened twice to me in one week with 2 different Henrys. This switch is attached to a tiny circuit board further within Henry's casing. Unscrew a further 3 screws to get to the motor compartment, making sure to lift the casing off the right side up. The wires from the hi/lo rocker switch can be clipped off and transfered directly to the on/off rocker switch, where the live and neutral should be. Simply throw away the useless circuit board and keep the disconnected hi/lo switch in place if you wish. You will not have the hi/lo facility anymore. As your Henry gets older, you may find the hi/lo facility becomes an annoyance anyway! Not worth the hassle to replace in my opinion.
- If this is not the cause, the next thing to check is the motor brushes. Again, easily obtainable and replacable. This is a common problem with older Henrys as the brushes become worn over time with use.

Failing this, it might be time for a new Henry. This is all I know so far, feel free to add more solutions.

Good luck and keep Henry alive people.

Can someone tell me / show with pictures on how to bypass the on/off switch in order to check it?
What do you actually do and with which wires?
Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi I've had an issue with Henry, he has lay down and is not looking like getting up!!!!
Please help he has been a loyal servant for over ten years and I think that after all this time it would be a shame to finally have to split company
He just stopped and won't start at all...
Firstly I'm getting a live feed at the neutral and surely that is wrong
I've tried removing hi/lo switch and still getting a live feed on the neutral
I have already replaced the motor as I thought this was the cause....

Thanks for the advice on bypassing the PCB & Hi/Lo switch guys!
You're guidance was much appreciated.
You have saved another Henry from the dump.

Hi,

Please, can someone tell me where is the fuse (picture welcome) in the Henry Vaccum Cleaner (mine is red ans has stopped working suddenly) ;)
Thank you.

I know this is a very old post but I hope someone still can reply. I have numatic stopped working. Cable is and on/off switch is ok too and motor as well I tested by directly connecting to power. I am trying to bypass pcb hi/low switch.
As per this
The two white wires that go to the motor. They go to the on off switch one will be live the other neutral then discard the wires to the hi low switch and it don't matter which white wires just any one on live other neutral terminals.

I can also confirm the hi lo switch failed for me too.
And this
Here is a picture of the writes after removing the pcb board:
[/img]

As said above the 2 white wires from the motor now connect to the on off switch.
Pictures shows both white wires connected together? Is this right? I tried it but i get nothing?
Do i connect 1 white to brown and the other white to the blue on the switch?
Thanks

Hi

I know this is a old post but did anyone have trouble removing the 3 screws on the reverse side of the motor I can undo them.

Any advice ?
TIA

I made a youtube video of step-by-step bypassing the PCB in case that helps.
You can see it at this link

Hi all, my Henry is acting a little strangely. I've read this thread but my issue seems somewhat different. He's working, both on high and low setting but every few seconds the power slowly fades down and then back up. Sometimes he slowly fades to nothing, a quick on/off and he's back on full power until it happens again. I've checked the contacts on the cable reel, checked the cable for damage and all visible wiring seems fine. Any thoughts? PCB? He's not very old, so he shouldn't be getting tired so easily...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back