Heritage Glastonbury exposed thermostatic shower - started squealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had an Heritage Glastonbury exposed thermostatic shower - it's a wall-hung mixer tap!!

Fitted for quite some time - long enough to be out of warranty!!!

Typically, it's now started making a squealing noise while in use. Not always probably every other time it's used. Seems to be a case of it squeals throughout a use or not at all.

Adjusting the shower (either way) make difference although the noise stop for a split second after adjusting.

Rest of bathroom taps seem fine so seems to be isolated to the shower.

Help!

Sponsored Links
It's the thermostatic valve that's causing it. There is rarely a fix for it, new valve time I'm afraid. If it's this one then you can get spares for it.
product-web-image.jpg

Morning

It's a lot like that one but with a traditional tap.

We had a new valve (brass valve which handle connects to) fitted while it was under warranty/guarantee. Looks like an over-sized tap valve.

Reading the manual, it suggests you can unscrew the valve to do some maintenance. Is there some sort of spring-loaded plastic collar in there (assume this is the thermostatic bit) that needs "greasing" with something called moly-prop(?). This seems to be some sort of grease for moving parts that get wet.

Given that the sound is not continuous, could it be this part sticking? I'd have to check but I wonder if the noise relates to the initial pressure which somehow sets the position of this plastic part.

I'm guessing!!!!

Yes, if it suggests that there are parts that are serviceable then for sure service the part. The squealing will be the thermostatic sensor/collar moving as the water runs past. If it can be greased then always try that first.

Not sure I'd use use Moly grease though, that's more likely to be used in cars, just a good quality silicone grease would do fine.

Sponsored Links
Great - thanks.

FYI - the original valve was swapped due to a leak not squealing. The new value has worked fine since until the squealing began a couple of weeks ago. I had suspected contamination but does not occur everytime hence my suggest that something is sticking.

When you say "good quality silicone grease" can you give me an example. The kind of grease I'm used to using is not for parts that are wet (or at least I hadn't imagined it would be).

Depends, without seeing the part that needs greased. I would normally be looking to apply it only to the surfaces that are moving, use a small plain screwdriver etc to get it into the critical places.

How far does that 1oz tin go? Will that do one service or keep me stocked-up for future jobs?

Depends on how much is needed I guess and how much you use it in the future for anything else. My large tub of silicone grease will outlast me.

I've managed to get my wife to dig out a pocket sized tin of vaseline. That's 20grams so it gives me a good idea of what 1oz (28grams) looks like. Plenty for this job!!

Thanks again - big help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back