herringbone engineered wood in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on installing an engineered wood herringbone floor in my kitchen. I will have to lay it after the kitchen units as they are already there. This is fine for where there are plinths as I can remove them and lay it then out then back over but I can't find any advice on what to do to get a good finish where there are end panels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you take the end decor panels off, install the floor, trim the decor panels and then replace them? Otherwise I'd consider treating them in the same way as you treat skirtings and door casings, i.e. undercut it and run the flooring beneath it (hire a jamb saw or use a multitool). The weight of the carcasses should be carried by the feet under the units and you obviously won't be cutting any of those. Any cut MFC or MF-MDF edges at floor level will need to be protected in some way, maybe by painting the cut edges with gloss paint or some form of lacquer, but also I'd back that up by adding a bead of silicone to protect the edges at floor level

MFC - Melamine-Faced Chipboard - the material that most kitchen carcasses are made from
MF-MDF - Melamine-Faced MDF - the material that many kitchen decor panels are made from.

Alternatives to include foil-wrapped MDF (where a thin layer of printed paper and plastic are glued to the outside face) and vinyl-wrapped MDF (where a thin layer of coloured PVC plastic is glued to the outside face). For the purposes of this approach it acts in the same way as MF-MDF and needs any cut edges to be protected

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure why I didnt think of that. I will just remove the end panels and follow your advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it oiled or lacquered?

what is the sub floor?
It's lacquered. Looking under the cabinets I can see it looks like it's a plywood floor underneath the laminate that is currently there.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220208_194415496.jpg
    PXL_20220208_194415496.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220208_194402861.jpg
    PXL_20220208_194402861.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 129
Looks like chipboard. You will need to plywood it if it is to glue the wood down.

Looks like chipboard. You will need to plywood it if it is to glue the wood down.
What thickness of plywood would I need to use? I've read 15mm but that seems too thick. Or should I use backer board?
Thanks again for any advice

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back