Laying solid hardwood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to lay some oak hardwood flooring in my kitchen. I have had experience in laying solid wood flooring and my intention is to lay the wood as a 'floating floor' with expansion gaps etc .. etc..
My concern is what to do with the floor when I get near the kitchen cupboards and the plinth that runs underneath th cupboards. I am intending to lay the wood upto the plinth and leave an expansion gap which will be covered by a length of scotia, exactly the same as when laying the wood alongside skirting boards. Is this acceptable or should I be laying the wood underneath the kitchen cupbords right up to the walls ???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you not remove the plinths, then take hardwood just short of the units legs, then cut down and replace the plinths? This would allow the floor to expand and also look neat.

If you have any free standing washers/driers etc you will have to make sure you can get them out afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back