laying real wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on laying a real wood floor in my dining room and into the kitchen. In the dining room I can leave an expansion gap around the edge of the room, but when it comes to the kitchen I am only covering the floor upto the kitchen units. This will obviously mean that the 'expansion gap' will be around 500mm. Will this allow the new boards to separate?
I am planning on gluing the joints, but it will be a floating floor. Hope all this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You're planning to it the correct way, install to just underneath the kick-boards. Don't worry about the extra width of the expansion gap there, the floor won't easily move because of that.

feedme - yep, as per WYL's post ... take the kitchen unit kick-plates off, floor just beyond them, reduce the height of the kick-plates (saw) by the thickness of the new floor, refix the kickplates.

What are you going to do below appliances? If these are fitted/integrated consider fitting a ply sheet 'spacer', of the same thickness as the flooring, below them so they are at floor level - this will aid pulling them out for maintenance, etc. otherwise you may have a 'step' which might prevent their removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back