Wood Floor Colour Change & Difference in Lacquered vs Oi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy an engineered wood floor to install throughout the downstairs of my house. We currently have a problem in that the lounge and dining room are ready to be floored, however the kitchen needs replacing. Its relatively open-plan.

Ideally, we'd replace the kitchen, then fit new wood floor throughout, however finances mean we can't afford the kitchen right now.

We have three options:

1) Wait until we install a new kitchen and live off the vinyl tiles on the concrete floor.

2) Lay Wood Floor in the lounge and dining area, but not the kitchen area yet (about 3sqm).

3) Lay Wood Floor in the existing kitchen, then take it up when the new kitchen is fitted, and re-lay the floor (kitchen layout will be the same, floor will be floated on duo-lay underlay).

If we lay the floor in the lounge and dining room, then later lay the rest of the floor in the kitchen (say, 6 months later), will there be a noticable difference in colour between the wood?

Would it make a difference in colour if we bought all the wood at once, then stored the kitchen floor wood, or if we bought the extra wood for the kitchen at a later date? Aside from the difference in oak natually?

Also, as a seperate question... from looking at wood, lacquered wood seems to look slightly lighter in colour than brushed and oiled images online and in the catalogue - is this the case in real life? Id like an oiled floor as I've heard bad things about dents and marks on lacquered floors, but want a light colour - not golden or dark.

I'm looking to buy Elka's Loc engineered wood floor, brushed and uv oiled.

Lounge is 3.8x4m, adjoining dining/kitchen area is 3.6x4.3m.

Sponsored Links
It would take around 6 months to a year for Oak gets its characteristic Honey colour (when finished with a natural finish). Parts installed later will eventually 'catch-up' and it is always best to buy the total sq meters you need so the boards come from the same batch - no matter when you install all or parts of it.

Brushed & Oiled will catch the light slightly different and looking at our showroom show floors are lighter in first appearance, not darker than smooth finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back