Engineered wood floor finish decision...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Got a huge decision to make on what type on engineered wood floor finish to fit throughout the whole ground floor (Kitchen/Hall/Toilet/Lounge) for my renovation.

Just after any advices, preference or experiences over Lacquered and UV Brushed Oil finishes.

I'm aware of their pros and cons and why they are different but would just appreciate any feedback, would be also great to hear from those who have either finishes themselves.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
At least with the UV Brushed and oiled you have a surface that you can re-oil should you need to, but the Lacquered would be 'fit and forget'.

With both it is imperitive that you do not wash them, you should use a lacquered floor soap or a Natural floor soap with microfiber cloth on a UV Oiled surface.

I would avoid an Unfinished or Oiled floor if a semi-consistant, easy to look after floor is what you require.

At least with the UV Brushed and oiled you have a surface that you can re-oil should you need to, but the Lacquered would be 'fit and forget'.

With both it is imperitive that you do not wash them, you should use a lacquered floor soap or a Natural floor soap with microfiber cloth on a UV Oiled surface.

I would avoid an Unfinished or Oiled floor if a semi-consistant, easy to look after floor is what you requireThanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Crazydaze

I have since found that you can get a ''Brushed and Lacquered'' variant which appears to be middle of the road, it retains some of its grain but also has the harder wearing lacquer finish. This is looking the most promising at the moment I think.

I fear for scratches on the straight lacquered version and I fear general spills on the oiled version, also the lacquered version for me looks like is could just aswell be cheap laminate due to its super smooth finish.

Thanks for the feedback Crazydaze

I have since found that you can get a ''Brushed and Lacquered'' variant which appears to be middle of the road, it retains some of its grain but also has the harder wearing lacquer finish. This is looking the most promising at the moment I think.

I fear for scratches on the straight lacquered version and I fear general spills on the oiled version, also the lacquered version for me looks like is could just aswell be cheap laminate due to its super smooth finish.

The Lacquer is identical on a Lacquered or Brushed finish, it's the contour/feel that is more rustic on the Brushed finish, thus, both floors will scratch in the same way.

Sponsored Links
The Lacquer is identical on a Lacquered or Brushed finish, it's the contour/feel that is more rustic on the Brushed finish, thus, both floors will scratch in the same way.

Ah yes but I get the feeling with it retaining some of its rustic grain, scratches will be far less obvious, in my head atleast.

Ah yes but I get the feeling with it retaining some of its rustic grain, scratches will be far less obvious, in my head atleast.

It will scratch just as easily, and scratches will be just as obvious, at least with UV Ouled you can add a little oil, with a lacquer it will be much to disguise.

I still prefer Lacquer for the ‘fit and forget’ properties, but the difficulty to blend damage is its main downside.

What would you advice for people with dogs Dave ? Or would you say LVT

For moisture tolerance, bowl spills etc then LVT.

For appearance, feel under foot and ‘serviceable’ is be inclined to go UV Oiled depending on the usage etc.

An Engineered with a Rustic Lacquered finish is going to be the easiest to live with and give a genuine look and finish.

I’m not a fan of LVT in ‘living spaces’ walking in hard plastic in those areas doesn’t feel right to me unless body and border work is part of the design.

I personally feel LVT comes into its own in areas like bathrooms and perhaps kitchens but that’s a personal taste thing rather than a ‘product suitability thing’

Sub floor is important too, LVT is cold over concrete on ground floors without UFH, Engineered floated on something like Timbermate XL always feels nicer imo.

I think LVT gets specced and asked for a lot because of brand name recognition and the extra profits in floor prep etc I think a lot of installers, builders and shops sell it when in many circumstances, Engineered or Laminate may actually suit the customers requirement better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back