Real Wood onto Existing Boards and Concrete Screed- CONFUSED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I apologise for writing yet ANOTHER thread about real wood floors but I am confused.com as I have been told so many different things!!!

We have just had our extension finished and we want real oak floor throughout the whole of the downstairs. The extension was to open up our existing dining room and kitchen to make an big open plan kitchen/diner/lounge area. We have floorboards throughout the house that are in good condition. In the kitchen/diner/lounge area we have floorboards in the original building and concrete screed up to the same level as the boards in the kitchen and new dining room - this has a DPM.

Now - what can we do. We would like the wood floor to run the length of the rooms downstairs which unfortunately is the same direction as the floorboards - is this a problem?

Is it a problem laying real wood on 2 different sub floor types that are at the same level? I have been told so many different things I am considering having lino!!!!!!

Can I have the same underlay underneath the floor on the concrete as the one used under the floor on the floorboards?

Apologies for probably covering old ground but there are so many opinions out there I want the quickest/simplest and most cost effective answer out there (I don't want much I know!!)

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Open plan which contains a kitchen (more moist due to cooking, washing, dish-washer etc) calls for wood-engineered, not solid floors.

When you plan to install in the same direction of your existing floorboards you need to overboard the old ones first. Your existing floorboards could be cupped and/or uneven and going straight over it with new boards could cause movement in many cases.

Also, do use different underlayments: on existing floorboards or sheet materials DON'T use an underlayment that contains DPM, on concrete use a combi-underlayment that does contain a DPM

Thanks very much wood you like.

Just a couple more questions...

If I have to board over the existing boards what would you recommend? Chipboard? Also, what's the minimum thickness I can go for as our door threshold is a bit low? This will then create me problems as my concrete floor will then be at a different level - can I board over the concrete to keep the levels the same?

Can you recommend a good engineered (budget) floor that has more than the normal puny 3m real wood!!

Many thanks for your help!!

It depends on how uneven or cupped your existing floorboards are. Sometimes 3mm hardboard is sufficient, sometimes we need 6 or even 12 mm plywood. (Stay away from chipboard!)

'Budget' wood-engineered boards with 4mm solid Oak top layer, see here

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your help!! Our floorboards are in very good condition, not warped or curved at all!!

Should I go over the concrete with it do you think? I am going to try and stay at 3mm.

If you also want to board over the concrete two things:
install the boarding materials diagonal so you don't have one joint over the whole area
only use underlayment without the DPM on top of your sheet material - no concrete = no DPM to be used between 'sub-floor' and wood floor

Hi,

Many thanks again.

Just to clarify - I am fine to board the whole of downstairs including the screed with 3-6mm hardboard but make sure I stagger the joints. Am I ok to staple this to the floorboards and glue to the concrete?

By doing this there is no need for a DPM on top of the hardbord!? Do I then need another membrane between the hardboard and floor that does not contain a damp proof or can the floor go straight on top of the boarding?

Sorry if I seem to repeat anything but it's best to ask and get it right than to not and get it wrong!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back