Laying Wood Floor over existing floor boards and concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a dividing wall removed, leaving me with a lounge diner. Unfortunately the dining room had a concrete floor, and the lounge has floor boards. To compound the problem the levels don't quite match and the concrete is not level and is cracked.

From having discussions with various people the only way to prepare the floor for Wood or Engineered wood ( I haven't decided yet) is to plyboard the wood floor to a level above the concrete floor, and then using self leveling latex make the concrete floor flush.

This seems pretty straight forward, has anyone done this themselves? Anyone have any better ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
RichieK said:
From having discussions with various people the only way to prepare the floor for Wood or Engineered wood ( I haven't decided yet) is to plyboard the wood floor to a level above the concrete floor, and then using self leveling latex make the concrete floor flush.
That advice is only half the answer. You must create one type of underfloor.

Thankyou.

So if I understand correctly, do as I was advised and then hardboard over the whole lot?

Sponsored Links
That's one way. Other option is to latex to just under the plywood level and 'fill' the concrete further with hardboard: is level floor and one type (sheet material) of 'underfloor'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back