laying a wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay a real wood floor in my lounge. The floor has floorboards through most of it however it has been extended and the extended bit of floor is concrete, how would I go about laying a new wooden floor? would I need to break the concrete up so the floor would be level?. I don't want to have a 'step-up' to this area as the room is already quite small. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance :LOL:

Sponsored Links
For a proper installation (for any kind of installing method) it's preferable to have only one kind of underfloor. You have two. Simplest solution is to install hardboard first, diagonal placed to cover all gaps in floorboards.

Thanks for that info. As my kitchen is next door to my lounge will that mean that I my lounge floor will be slightly higher that the kitchen floor?. My plan is also to put wood in the hall, as this floor also adjoins the kitchen I will have the same trouble there.

What's on the kitchen floor? Or do you plan to install wood there also?

Hardboard is 3mm, plus underlayment (2mm foam?), plus the thickness of the wood (14 or 20mm?) You can install a reducer or ramp in the doorways to cover the height differences.

We recommend all rooms to be installed separately, installing thresholds (twins, reducers, ramps or ends). Since all rooms have there own climate/temperature the flooring in the rooms will react differently to changes in temp or humidity (Specially hallways, which are normally colder).

See here for samples of thresholds.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your help woodulike. The kitchen floor at present has lino although I will be putting ceramic tiles on it. I suppose this will raise the floor slightly anyway?. I've just had a look at your website. I see what you mean by reducers. Would I be better off with the thinner boards(like the super6) as I don't want to raise the height too much? I don't want a shiny 'laminated' look as the house is quite old. :)

Super6 has a sold top layer of 6mm on a backing of 15mm, making the total thickness 21mm.
Perhaps you're better of (heightwise) with standard Wood-Engineered (14-15mm, with 3.6mm solid top layer) or Wood-Veneer (8mm, with solid top layer of 0.6mm)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back