solid wood floor in a kitchen how and if ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a home for our small family, I had planned to fit a solid wood floor over my floorboards in my dining room and kitchen (diningroom into kitchen) but people keep telling me the solid wood floor is not a good idea . I have paid a lot for my first kitchen of my own and I dont want it to end in a knightmare, should I do something else with the kitchen floor? if so what wood look good and be the safest bet. and if the wood floor is ok with care with water would I lay it under the units or around? the kitchen is bare walls and floor boeards at the moment. please help me no to cause a disaster area!

Sponsored Links
Main problem in kitchens (and any other 'moist/wet' areas) is the reaction of wood to water (humidity). Kitchen = cooking, washing etc.
Best bet is indeed wood-engineered flooring (also available in full-plank versions instead of the standard, basic 3-strip)

It's ok as long as you're careful, well mine is. Mindful however that a washing machine leak or unexpected fridge defrost could knacker it completely.

Eddie M said:
It's ok as long as you're careful, well mine is. Mindful however that a washing machine leak or unexpected fridge defrost could knacker it completely.

thanks eddie m its too risky. You are right its now decided!
:D

Sponsored Links
zena said:
Just curious on what you've decided (Or should I mind my own business? ;))

WoodYouLike said:
zena said:
Just curious on what you've decided (Or should I mind my own business? ;))

I thought about linolium cushion floor but maybe you can help again with that too. 1. I just need to make sure is it ok to fit my kitchen straight on to the bare floorboards? 2. I am worried the the small spaces in the floorboards will show through the lino floor covering after some slight wear how do I stop this happening and keep the floor looking smooth and even ?

Nail some exterior grade ply onto the floor boards first. Wet the boards first (not soak), let them stand a while so they expand a bit, then nail them down with plenty of lost head nails (ensure the head is lost!), make sure the joints are staggered wrt the floor boards. Let the boards dry out completely before laying the top covering. Least that's how I was told to do it, no doubt if someone thinks that's wrong, they'll inform me of my shortcomings :D

Eddie M said:
Nail some exterior grade ply onto the floor boards first. Wet the boards first (not soak), let them stand a while so they expand a bit, then nail them down with plenty of lost head nails (ensure the head is lost!), make sure the joints are staggered wrt the floor boards. Let the boards dry out completely before laying the top covering. Least that's how I was told to do it, no doubt if someone thinks that's wrong, they'll inform me of my shortcomings :D

I would just like to point out that ply does not need "wetting" especally exterior ply.This method would only apply if you was going to use hardboard :)

I'm doing well today!! 'spose that make sense on marine ply, if one engages brain first. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back