Laying an engineered wood floor on underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting conflicting advice from suppliers and installers about installing an engineered wood floor (18mm, with a 4mm hardwood top layer) over a concrete floor with underfloor heating.

The manufacturer video shows the installer simply glueing the tongues and groves over a vapour proof, low tog underlay to create a floating floor. One of the installers is suggesting laying the floor on a trowelled adhesive as he suggests that if it isn't entirely glued down the floor may bow/cup up if there is any movement at all.

I am obviously leaving the right expansion gaps but wondered if the installers were right to think about a complete glue job. I think I am using an old fashioned joiner to lay the floor for whom the idea of trowelling adhesive to stick the wood down appears strange. He did a solid wood floor a few years ago for me and there was certainly no trowelling in that!

Sponsored Links
The main benefit of fully bonding a wood-engineered floor on to a concrete floor which has a underfloor heating system embedded in it, is to avoid any air gaps between concrete and wood floor.
Air gaps can influence the effectiveness of your UFH in a negative way.

When fully bonding the floor, your fitter needs to use flexible adhesive and the correct notched trowel.

Most manufacturers of wood-engineered flooring will recommend the fully bond method to warrant their product guarantee.

That is useful, is there an adhesive you recommend and the 'special' trowell??

That is useful, is there an adhesive you recommend and the 'special' trowell??

Also, does it still need an underlay and if so, what type? I think that last time we used an underlay with a peel-off backing to stick the wood to the underlay as we went along and didn't use an adhesive at all.

Sponsored Links
You're confusing two different installation methods: fully bonding with flexible adhesive and fully bonding on self-adhesive underlayment.

Flexible adhesive does not need an underlayment, just a level, dry, cold concrete floor and notched trowel

You can't use just any self-adhesive underlayment when there's UFH involved: Elastilon Lock is specially made for this

You're confusing two different installation methods: fully bonding with flexible adhesive and fully bonding on self-adhesive underlayment.

Flexible adhesive does not need an underlayment, just a level, dry, cold concrete floor and notched trowel

You can't use just any self-adhesive underlayment when there's UFH involved: Elastilon Lock is specially made for this

Does the underlay have to be double sided? I kiow it needs to be low Top and moisture resistant.

The Elastilon Lock is double sided for a specific reason - to give you the best result on UFH.
Otherwise, use flexible adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back