Laying an engineered wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I hope someone can help.

I will be laying a Boen engineered wood floor next week in my front room and I have a coupe of questions.

- The current floor is floorboards which are ok but not perfectly level all over so I am planning on laying fibre boards - do they need to be layed diagonally across the original floor?

- Once I have put fibre boards down can I lay the new floor in the same direction as the floor boards?

- What type of adhesive should I use on the tongue and groove? Can I use bog standard wood adhesive?

- Will I need compression straps and if so what exactly do I need and where do I get them?

Thanks for any answers!

Sponsored Links
Have a look here too.

Diagonal is a good idea. PVAC wood glue will do and no, no need for straps.

Didn't Boen or the business where you bought the floor give you better information?

The company we bought from have been hopeless - I have phoned on 3 occasions and asked what underlay I should use and received 3 completely different answers! Having researched myself on the internet, I decided on fibre board.

They were cheapest for the floor so i have bought that from them, but none of the other bits I need as I couldn't trust their advice! It's not a small firm either.

Typical. Isn't it always.
Cheap, so no proper advice. Not the way we work, but then again we're not a big company ;)

Sponsored Links
Do you supply underlay, adhesives and flooring accessories and if so where do I find you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back