Laying solid wood ontop of old linoleum tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking of laying a solid wood floor downstairs on to concrete floor. The flooring is natural Oak tongue and groove. Boards are approx 8cm wide and 50 - 60 cm long. I have 2 questions:
1. Do I have to lift the linoleum floor tiles that have been down since 1930's or can I lay on top of these? (think I already know the answer to this).
2. If I have to lift tiles and lay onto the concrete below. What method do I use?

I will be buying flooring from B and Q. Their info suggests using self adhesive underlay. I have also been told that you can use bitumen or another sort of adhesive that will bond the wood directly to the concrete floor.

I want to know what the best option is. The house is 1930'2 so solid floor has been down a while :)[/list]

Sponsored Links
Linoleum will not bond with the adhesive. If you plan to use the self-adhesive underlayment (make sure you get the proper stuff like Elastilon, not a cheap fake product) and your linoleum is firmly stuck to the underfloor and level you can leave it where it is.

Presuming your woodblocks are 15 - 21mm thick with T&G? If so and you plan to remove the linoleum, make sure the concrete floor is level and of good quality. Your weakest link will be the concrete underfloor, wood plus adhesive is very strong.Best not to use any Bitumen related product, could cause problems in the future (becomes brittle), but use a modern type of adhesive like Lecol5500 or Stycobond B92

Cheers woodyoulike,

One other question. If I do glue the wood directly to the floor do you also glue the T&G or do you leave this so the wood can expand?

You only glue the blocks to the underfloor by applying the adhesive to the underfloor using a notched trowel. No need to glue the T&G.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much WoodYouLike. This is a great forum!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back