shoud I glue tongue and groove, solid oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I will be laying a solid Oak floor onto concrete this weekend using Sikabond T54 flex floor adhesive, my questions is should I also use wood glue to bond the tongue and groove? would this help reduce expansion? or better to not glue and allow for small amount of movement?

cheers

Sponsored Links
You cannot stop expansion, you allow it, or watch your floor buckle.

You can glue it down, the glues are flexible, leave a card space within the T&G for movement.

Hi thanks for your response.

It's the first I've heard of leaving a card gap between joints, and I must say it's an ingenious idea! and why is it not more commonly mentioned in installation guides!?

I have a stack of business cards on my desk, I've worked out that I have 33 plank width's across, 33 business cards gives me an extra 10mm of expansion! on top of the outside gap.

The wood has been in the room for over a month, and assuming the time of year I would guess the floor is more likely to expand from this point than shrink? or I guess it may shrink a little more as haven't had heating on yet.

would you use a thicker card width such as a birthday card width? I also understand the wood doesn't expand much down the length?

thanks again for you advice, much appreciated.

A typical business card will be fine, just under half a mm.

The moisture content now is likely somewhere in the middle of its range, it will shrink a little more in winter with the heating, and expand in summer as you open doors and windows.

Longitudinal movement is immeasurable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back