Solid oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I go and spend a lot of cash on pre-finished solid oak flooring from Howdens, has anyone fitted it before? I'm going to do the whole of my downstairs with it. Howdens supply tubs of adhesive which they say has got to be used to glue the planks to the existing floor, but I planned to lay it floating on an underlay, glueing the grooves.
I'm not keen on glueing to the concrete floor as I don't trust the adhesive to hold with the movement of the oak, also the kitchen area is tiled so I think a floating method would be better.
any do's and don'ts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
stric said:
Do follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Don't ignore the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Softus said:
stric said:
Do follow the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Don't ignore the manufacturer's installation instructions.
If you want to keep your (Howdens) manufacturers guarantee. Otherwise, choose another company to supply the wood and go ahead with the floating method. I know a pretty good company in Kent that recommends installing floors floating ;)

Sponsored Links
Depends on the finish, thickness etc. Varies between £ 32.95 (lacquered) up to £ 49.95 (oiled). Have a browse

Some lovely stuff on there:cool:

Platform are doing an 18mm solid oak hardwood for £16sqm. Not a bad price

The_Scotty said:
Some lovely stuff on there:cool:

Platform are doing an 18mm solid oak hardwood for £16sqm. Not a bad price
Not a bad quality either???? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back